A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Delay in shifting out of 3rd gear. 2001 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delay in shifting out of 3rd gear. 2001 A6

Hi

2001 A6 Quattro 2.8 138k

When cold tyranny works fine for 3-5 mins.

Then it wont shift out of 3rd gear to higher ones at right time if at all.

This is when auto D is selected but if Tiptronic is used it works fine through all gears.

No slipping.

Had ATF changed and filter by a local shop who works on Audi and BMW for $150. Is this a possible price? Wondering if he did it as I am on the road and its my wife's car.

He said there were no tranny codes .

He did say upfront ATF change might not solve problem but I thought for $150 it was worth a shot.

He said he believes it is the valve body and it may unstick itself with the new fluid after a few days driving.

Does this sound like a valve body issue?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd start by verifying that the level is correct and checking the codes yourself. You can also use measuring blocks in VAG-COM to view operation. I'm not buying the sticky valve theory; the 1980's are over.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

150 sure sounds like he just did a simple drain and fill. Removing the pan, which still holds a few more quarts that the drain plug doesnt get, and changing the filter and cleaning the magnets cost more like 250$. Which would have been better
Old 07-27-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
150 sure sounds like he just did a simple drain and fill. Removing the pan, which still holds a few more quarts that the drain plug doesnt get, and changing the filter and cleaning the magnets cost more like 250$. Which would have been better
I do not think it has a drain plug. Don't you have to remove pan?

But the real question I have is does the upshifting problem when in auto D sound like a valve body issue as it works fine when you shift manually via Tiptronic
Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Guru

If the filter was not changed or the level was wrong, that would be the problem.

Did you do anything with VAG-COM yet?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a drain plug yes, its a 8mm allen bolt. Only about 3-4 quarts come out like that, and about 6 comes out when the pans dropped and filters changed. for 150$ i really doubt he did the filter.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
There is a drain plug yes, its a 8mm allen bolt. Only about 3-4 quarts come out like that, and about 6 comes out when the pans dropped and filters changed. for 150$ i really doubt he did the filter.
Hi guys.

I want to thank you for your posts and give you an update.

I am out of town so this has all been over the phone.

Wife had upshift problem occur on Wed. going to work.. 8 miles stop and go.

She told me about it Thursday and I found this guy 2 miles from our house in a small industrial park that I had never been in before via a referral after several phone calls.

After reading all I could on the forum I wanted to try ATF and filter change and the quotes I got were $375 and $450.

This guy said he would do it for $150 and after talking to him for a while I got the impression he knew Audi transmissions and how to properly fill them quite well.

Wife drove to him Friday AM and he drove her home.

They brought car to her around 2 Pm and he told me the problem was gone.

The $150 bill states Filter kit $32.10 , ATF 7 Quarts $55.65 and .82 labor for $57.40

I don't think he test drove it too long as it was working OK for the first 5-10 mins. when cold before we brought it to him.

Wife drove 2 miles to store 1/2 hour later , car now hot, and upshift problem still there.

He came over to house late Friday and drove with wife for around 15 min. and showed her how to use Tiptronic which worked fine in all gears.

Told me for her to keep car and he would look into a used valve body next week.

Sat. Am she drove to work , back home for lunch, back to work then home at night 8 miles each way .. stop and go for 1/2 and 45-55 MPH for half and the tranny now works fine in D she says it is even "better than before the problem" nice and smooth.

My conclusion is it took a while for new fluid to dissolve what ever was causing the valve body to stick and we dodged a bullet for $150. but will have the wife drive on highway for an 1/2 hour and see if it is still ok.

Thanks to all on this forum!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Guru

At that price, I'd be wondering if he used the right fluid. $8 a quart is very cheap.

Not sure how he could do the job in 45 minutes either. I've done this many time on my lift and checking the level at proper temp takes a long time.

Was the car hot when she brought it to him? If so, level is probably a little low too.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
At that price, I'd be wondering if he used the right fluid. $8 a quart is very cheap.

Not sure how he could do the job in 45 minutes either. I've done this many time on my lift and checking the level at proper temp takes a long time.

Was the car hot when she brought it to him? If so, level is probably a little low too.
The car was driven 2 miles on Friday at 9 am. Got it back around 2 pm so I think it was cold when worked on.

I had asked about ATF and he said he was not going to use Audi but Bilstien I think. I did question him abut temp. and running through gears and he said he knew about that and had right equipment

I had originally told him I thought it was a 2002 2.8 and he said that when he ordered the filter kit he got it for a 2001 because 2002 had no 2.8 Q so I am pretty sure he did put a filter on.

As to the over all price he is a small shop and his wife works with him. they are from Bosnia . I think he was just staying within original $150 quote he gave me off the top of his head when I first called as we are locals.

Anyway wife just got back from 1/2 hr. on highway and 20 min back road with hills and says works great.

Thanks all.

Last post unless it goes south on me. LOL
Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt765
I do not think it has a drain plug. Don't you have to remove pan?

But the real question I have is does the upshifting problem when in auto D sound like a valve body issue as it works fine when you shift manually via Tiptronic
Yes..it has a drain plug as well as a separate fill port on the bottom of the pan. You have to drop the pan to change the filter.

Quick Reply: Delay in shifting out of 3rd gear. 2001 A6