A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Deploying and Storing Car for a Year: Tips or Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to spring for jack stands, get some 6" landscape timbers at Home Depot, cut them into about 8" lengths, and stack them (each layer at 90 degrees to the one under it) and use those to raise the car at the appropriate points (preferably the frame rails). I would raise the car off the ground enough to take most of the weight off the wheels, but not so much as to completely allow the suspension to hang all the way down.

I second the recommendation to investigate inside storage, even if it costs you something. If your paint gets bird poop on it and it doesn't get washed off for months, you're definitely going to see paint damage when you get back. Your interior is going to seriously bake in the Texas sun and you may substantially age your seating surfaces and the underlying foam and your headliner glue. I agree with the advice not to use a cover for 12 months of storage; it will likely trap moisture and damage your paint, if it rips it will flap in the wind and bang against your car or someone else's, etc.

Sta-Bil is excellent fuel stabilizer; use it at the higher strength (as indicated on the bottle) for longer-term storage (i.e. a year) and be sure you run the car long enough after putting it in the gas tank for the treated gas to make its way to the engine.

The wikihow article cited earlier has excellent suggestions.

Most of all, thank you for your service to our nation, and stay safe wherever you're going.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave it to your dad or buddy drive it as a second car when you're overseas.
Drive it a couple of days in a week is better than leave it for storage.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spoon2000
If you don't want to spring for jack stands, get some 6" landscape timbers at Home Depot, cut them into about 8" lengths, and stack them (each layer at 90 degrees to the one under it) and use those to raise the car at the appropriate points (preferably the frame rails). I would raise the car off the ground enough to take most of the weight off the wheels, but not so much as to completely allow the suspension to hang all the way down.

I second the recommendation to investigate inside storage, even if it costs you something. If your paint gets bird poop on it and it doesn't get washed off for months, you're definitely going to see paint damage when you get back. Your interior is going to seriously bake in the Texas sun and you may substantially age your seating surfaces and the underlying foam and your headliner glue. I agree with the advice not to use a cover for 12 months of storage; it will likely trap moisture and damage your paint, if it rips it will flap in the wind and bang against your car or someone else's, etc.

Sta-Bil is excellent fuel stabilizer; use it at the higher strength (as indicated on the bottle) for longer-term storage (i.e. a year) and be sure you run the car long enough after putting it in the gas tank for the treated gas to make its way to the engine.

The wikihow article cited earlier has excellent suggestions.

Most of all, thank you for your service to our nation, and stay safe wherever you're going.
Ok, I will definitely look into the indoor storage and just spring for whatever I need to. I've spent so much money maintaing the car, it would be a shame to just let it get destroyed while I'm gone. I thank you all for all the advice and help.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sell it and bet on its value crashing over the next year. Buy it back a year later for pennies on the dollar. Invest the money in the meantime.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

LOL. Insightful.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle2218
Ok, I will definitely look into the indoor storage and just spring for whatever I need to. I've spent so much money maintaing the car, it would be a shame to just let it get destroyed while I'm gone. I thank you all for all the advice and help.
Inside storage is worth the money spent if you want to keep the car for a long time. I have stored an 89 Porsche 944 turbo many times during long Michigan winters (sometimes the 944 would not be driven for 10 or 11 months at a time) and the Porsche has stayed in excellent condition.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ask Jay Leno, he is the expert...