A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

DIY rear bumper cover replacement A6 C5 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY rear bumper cover replacement A6 C5 Avant

Just finished replacing the rear bumper cover on my 1999 Audi A6 Avant. I decided to do a little write-up to give back to the community. Hope this will help someone attempting the same work.

Cheers,

Chris
Attached Files
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by campagnolo_1
Just finished replacing the rear bumper cover on my 1999 Audi A6 Avant. I decided to do a little write-up to give back to the community. Hope this will help someone attempting the same work.

Cheers,

Chris
Excellent that you painted it first. FWIW, it cost me $170 to have my S6 rear bumper repaired probably much eas damage. I'll keep in mind this.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Excellent that you painted it first. FWIW, it cost me $170 to have my S6 rear bumper repaired probably much eas damage. I'll keep in mind this.
SloopJohnB, I wish I had an inexpensive body shop like that around here. Good on you for getting it fixed so cheap!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

SloopJohnB, I wish I had an inexpensive body shop like that around here. Good on you for getting it fixed so cheap!
Strangely enough it was/is a detailing shop in Columbia, MD...Performance Tinting.
http://www.performancewindowtinting.com

The guy is very good with relatively small panels, blending, etc. Doesn't have a spray booth so doesn't do entire cars...I asked! Friend's wife has a cherry 90s Lincoln Town Car with bad paint (didn't they all?) with low 70Ks mileage and it just isn't worth it to put a $4-5K paint job on it.
LOL, Me, I'd paint it with a roller..it couldn't look any worse!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Strangely enough it was/is a detailing shop in Columbia, MD...Performance Tinting.
http://www.performancewindowtinting.com

The guy is very good with relatively small panels, blending, etc. Doesn't have a spray booth so doesn't do entire cars...I asked! Friend's wife has a cherry 90s Lincoln Town Car with bad paint (didn't they all?) with low 70Ks mileage and it just isn't worth it to put a $4-5K paint job on it.
LOL, Me, I'd paint it with a roller..it couldn't look any worse!
Good to have someone like that handy. I will actually go ahead and attempt a repair on my old bumper cover and paint it. I will certainly do a write-up on that, but only if it comes out good!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good to have someone like that handy. I will actually go ahead and attempt a repair on my old bumper cover and paint it. I will certainly do a write-up on that, but only if it comes out good!
There's all kinds of info on repairing urethane bumpers on the web; best thing to remember is the bumper and repair and paint need to be flexible. There are flexible additives to paint you'll need and flexible urethane repair materials/putty.

The real problem is paint/color matching. Over time all colors change on the car and urethane bumper covers have other issues such as what material/primer/color you're painting over to get the color you want. Essentially the same paint will give a slightly different color over different surfaces/colors/primer!! Worse, the WAY you paint, i.e., HVLP or pressure/volume mix (if you have spray guns with two *****), the day you paint (sun, shade, humidity) will color your paint. Some people like to paint with a wet edge and see the whole panel wet before it flashes dry, others like a more or less flashed surface that is then wet sanded and buffed. It's experimental especially with blending....I don't mind painting an entire car (did a VW and an MG midget years ago) but individual panels are an art project I leave to pros. I can blame them if it doesn't turn out right...

You might find an auto body paint store that can computer-age your paint and suggest a slight tint change to reflect the age of your paint on the car and/or one with a color meter or spectrophotometer to accurately detect the correct color.