A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Do the higher performance break pads wear out the rotors any more than OEM pads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the higher performance break pads wear out the rotors any more than OEM pads...

It's time to replace my front pads and the dealer said the rotors would be okay for another round. I'm going to do the work myself so I'm thinking about putting some GreenStuff pads or some other after market. The fact that they stop quicker and harder makes me wonder if they will wear down the rotor faster since I am not going to put a new one on there? Any thoughts? Also, what is another good after market pad. And no I'm not using Mintex Red Box, I put those on the rear and I get more break dust on my rear wheels with those supposed, lower dust pads, than I do on my front wheels with OEM pads.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yup. They can.

Do some STFA on the S4 boards and you'll come up with a ton of info.

There was some page from Stoptech that had a lot of good stuff in it.

Most aftermarket pads tend to be harder on OEM rotors due to their composition.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you're getting more dust on the rear wheels...

with the Mintex Redbox over the front OEM pads than I made the right choice.
That means the pads on the rear are doing most of the braking and Mintex is better than OEM.

Thanks for proving it.
It's not a good idea to mix pad compounds front to rear on a street car.

Pads harder than Mintex will definitely wear rotors faster.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:10 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default It depends. You have to look at the temperature range in which the pads are designed to operate.

When they are within that range, none of them are too, too bad on your rotors. When they are too cold, however, some pads can place tremendous wear on your rotors. The Hawk Blue pad, for example, can wear out a set of rotors in just days when run on the street. Pagid Orange, on the other hand, seems to be pretty rotor friendly on the street.

I have never run the GreenStuff pads, so I don't know how they perform as street pads.

Andrew
Old 10-14-2003, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've got Portefield on OEM rotors for my rears. Way squeaky on OEM rotors. Solid on Statsis rotors
Old 10-14-2003, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try driving uphill...

with your foot on the brake pedal while accelerating. I have not tried this on an Audi and the computer might not allow this to happen.

A light pressure on the gas and brake pedals might work.
Try it while driving for a few miles. If you smell hot brakes while driving you have succeeded in getting the pads up to temp.

If the computer won't allow gas while braking at speed than you will have to switch tactics.
The standard bedding process will still work by braking heavily from 60-0 mph several times on an uphill surface.

This method should solve your problem because you will be transfering alot of the load to the rear pads by braking uphill.

Since the Stasis rotors are more efficient than stock rotors the rear OEM rotors/pads have not been fully bedded in.

I hope this makes sense Ernesto.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Gracias Senor- I'll give it a try..... now to find a non-residential hill that I can play on. 8^)
Old 10-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Thanks for the thoughts...I'll probably try to find an aftermarket pad which is made for street use.

The fun driving part of me says to go ahead and spend an extra $40 a set and just get AutoCross rated pads, but I've never thought about the temp range in which they operate, but that makes total sense. Thanks again.