A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Do you like Audi seats? Is it comfortable for you? Comments on sport seat option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like Audi seats? Is it comfortable for you? Comments on sport seat option?

I've been suffering from chronic back pain since early Februrary. Starting last month, I finally started physical therapy.

So, what does my back got to do with Audi seats? After trying for months to figure out what went wrong with my back, my therapist and I started to trace back everything that I sleep on, sit on and lean on and found out that the new car was the only thing new in my life. (same couch, same desk chair, same bed and no new positions with my wife

For 2 weeks I've been pain free. And for 3 weeks, I've not been driving my A6. Now I am pretty sure the seat is causing the probelm. One thing I suppose I can do is to install the sport seats but don't know if this will solve the problem. In fact, I am not even sure if there are people like me out there.

I'd appreciate any comments about your own expeirence with standard seats. (BTW. I am of normal height and weight)
Old 05-23-2001, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It would be odd for your seats to be causing chronic pain...

unless you find yourself uncomfortable (not necessarily in pain) while you are driving. It is possible the seats are not providing enough lower back support which can be due to too soft an *** cushion and/or not enough lumbar support in the back part of the seat, but depending on where your pain is and what it is (muscular vs spinal column) it is difficult to tell whether a new seat would help. It is also possible that this pain was developing and it has taken until recently for the physical therapy to show its effects. I assume some back strengthening and stretching exercises have been initiated. Even if it is the seat that contributes, it is possible with the correct conditioning and exercise the seats may not continue to be a problem.
Also, whenever someone gets a new car with good or bad seats, there is often an adjustment period before your body gets accustomed to the new but slightly different position it is placed in, especially in manual transmission cars where the clutch movement is usually different and requires a longer or shorter throw at a slightly different angle which can disturb someones back "homeostasis" particularly in those who (like everyone) are getting a little older, less flexible, less physically active, and less resilient.
Good luck with the seats, I love the sport seats. My back was a little irritating for a few weeks while I drove, but I think I have adjusted.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:49 AM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Do you like Audi seats? Is it comfortable for you? Comments on sport seat option?

My wife has a severe problem with neck an dupper spine. She cannot tolerate anything but Audi seats for more than a couple hours. I have non-sport seats in my 99 A6 and she loves them. But the seats in her 87 4KQ are even better for her.

I'm no expert, but maybe you need to go to a dealer and sit in one with sport seats. Althoguh it seems strange that you don't feel uncomfortable if its really the seats that are causing the problem.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:05 AM

Default Not really

I almost took my A4q sport back because the seats were so uncomfortable! Same thing for the wife.

It took me a good 3 or 4 weeks to get used to them and for my back to stop hurting. And when I was away from the car for a while, I had to get readjusted to the seats.

I loved the side support but they are like orthopedic shoes to get used to.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another thought. Have you tried different seat positions ?

Move the bottom cushion forward to where your feet can operate the pedals simply by rotating on your heel. Make sure that the angle of the bottom cushion is not tilted up so far at the front as to restrict bloodflow or cause you to push down against the cushion when using the pedals. Nor should you tip the front of the seat bottom so far down as to place a lot of weight on your tail-bone.

Sit back for a moment and relax. With your arms at your side, adjust the seat back angle so that you are comfortably upright. Neither so far back as to cause you to tilt your head forward, nor so far forward as to feel like you might fall forward.

Release the steering column telescope/tilt control. Pull the steering wheel into a position where you can rest your shoulders comfortably against the seatback while you extend your arms directly in front of you whilst hooking your wrists over the steering wheel in the 10 and 2 postion. Lock it there.

Sorry if you've already tried this. The sport seats are quite firm. I like them a lot for the support they offer. Try the A4 sport seats if you can as well. They are different from the A6 version.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What do you mean "not really", what you describe is exactly what I said

It takes time to adjust to new seats whether they are good or bad seats.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Do you like Audi seats? Is it comfortable for you? Comments on sport seat option?

I've had minor lower back pains for quite a few years. The pain has been diminished over the last year but I can't say I would attribute that to my sport seats. Maybe it has helped but I am beginning to think that my primary problem is in my bed mattress. I'm replacing that as soon possible.

In any case, the sport seats haven't made things worse and they may have helped. A final point is that it took me a few weeks to find the right setup for the seat. Now that I've found the right setup, I think the sport seats are the most comfortable and supportive I've ever had.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe it's the driving position you choose, rather than the seats itself....

Even the best orthopedically designed seats can cause problems if you dont adjust it in the appropriate manner..
Old 05-23-2001, 12:03 PM

In my career with back trouble, I have had one laminectomy (sp?) - disk removal. I also have a lot of arthritis in my back. I can't do much yard work, or any lifting. So, when I drive 700-800 miles in a day, I have to have a GOOD seat, or I can't even get out of the car. With the sport seat in both the A4 and the A6, (same seat IMO), I have NO back problem after driving all day. IMO, that is testimony that counts. For sure, the adjustments have to be correct.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My vote stays with the standard (non-sport) seat.

Recent postings like this caused a minor stir, particularly from the "only sport seats will do" crowd. There was some sense that "bigger folks" (XL or greater) prefer the "less confining" (or less supportive depending on your bias) standard seat.

Bottom line: Only you know you (and your back and butt!) best. You know how you drive, and where you drive. You know what feels good and what doesn't. Try both seats, ideally for longer than a 15-minute test drive...then you decide.

Quick Reply: Do you like Audi seats? Is it comfortable for you? Comments on sport seat option?