A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Does anyone have an MSDS for Audi/VW G 12 (Glysantin G 30 in Europe) coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have an MSDS for Audi/VW G 12 (Glysantin G 30 in Europe) coolant?

If someone could provide an MSDS for either Audi/VW/Pentosin G 12 or Valvoline/Zerex/BASF Glysantin G 30 (The europeans call our "G 12" G 30), I would really appreciate it.

Surely I would think that the service departments would carry an MSDS for G 12.

Zerex G 30 is on Valvoline's NA website, but there only appears to be a technical sheet for G 30 and no MSDS.

http://www.basf.de/basf/html/d/produkte/gebiete/glysanti/produkte/g30.htm
this is the european website about BASF Glysantin G 30, which is the same formula as G 12 here in the states (sorry, I dont' know how to create two link in one post).

Thanks in advance.<ul><li><a href="https://www.valvoline-technology.com/data/VALV/ValvExtSecurity.nsf/fsZerex?OpenFrameSet">Valvoline/Zerex Glysantin G 30 technical sheet is on this list</a></li></ul>
Old 09-22-2004, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Since G12 is Ethylene Glycol-based, any MSDS for EG would be appropriate...

Just do a MSDS search on ethylene glycol and you'll be fine (except that EG is highly toxic if consumed). The relatively small amount of special additives are not as toxic as EG.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Thanks, but...(more)

I do realize the hazards for ethylene glycol already.

The reason for me asking for the MSDS for G 12 was to cross reference the chemical composistion to that of other OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolants to see if there are any equivalent coolants in the states. Right now, I suspect that there are only dye diffences amongst the latest OAT coolants. The exception is whether or not a company chooses to distribute an OAT coolant made with either potassium or sodium based 2-ethylhexanoic acid.

HOAT is another story. Zerex makes this as G 05. Hybrid OAT coolants uses a low level of silicate in addition to organic acids to resist cavitation better than straight OAT.

The problem with OAT coolants is that if they are neglected; not kept topped up (if the system is alowed to run low a lot) or air contaminates the fluid, cavitation occurs. G 05 is more resistant to cavitation if the cooling system is slightly neglected.

In the states, G 05 is used by Ford and Daimler-Chrysler in their newer vehicles. Mercedes has also exclusivley used G 05 coolant in many of their vehicles.

It is not a good idea to mix an OAT coolant with a traditional [green] silicated coolant, or any silicated coolant for that matter. This is what can cause gelling, sludge, and gunk buildup, in addition to a neglected OAT system.

G 12 (G 30 in europe) is OAT based. It is phosphate, silicate, borate, nitrate, amine and nitrite free.

G 34, Opel and GM in europe, (in the US, it is commonly reffered to as "Dex-Cool, originally distrbuted by havoline, made by Arteco-Coolants) is also an OAT based coolant. It too is phosphate, silicate, borate, nitrate, amine and nitrite free.

If the composistion in the MSDS of G 12(G 30) matches that of the MSDS availible for G 34(dex-cool), then chemically, G 12 and dex-cool would be the same, minus the color. However, there are red-dyed versions of dex-cool type OAT coolants out there.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yikes! Way, way over my head. But...

Now I understand the essence of your question. The laws governing MSDS's are different in each country. The U.S. does not require MSDS's for all consumer goods (such as G12). And many US MSDS's can legally hide actual compositions as trade secrets. Therefore, the actual chemical composition of G12 may remain a secret to the public. Yeah, it would be nice if Dex-cool would suffice for G12 in our Audis.

But mind you, I'm no expert. Others, please chime in!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Re: Call 1 800 chemtrec for any MSDS
Old 09-23-2004, 04:50 AM

Default Pentosin is distributed in US by CRP Industries, Inc - 732-969-2200.

Don't know why they wouldn't send you one. Worse case scenario they may refer you to a local distributor. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Default I obtained an MSDS for G 012 A8F A4...(more)

name..................%.......CAS
ethylene glycol.....70-80%..107-21-1
diethylene glycol...10-20%..111-46-6
sebacic acid.........1-5%...111-20-6
sodium hydroxide....1-1.5%..1310-73-2

It is OAT based for sure, but not all the OAT inhibitors are listed, nor are all the ingredients, for obvious propietray reasons.

I am going to contact CRP and see if they have an MSDS for the Pentosin G 12, and I am also going to contact BASF to see if they ahve an MSDS availible for glysantin G 30.

I did contact valvoline/zerex, but they only said that there version of "dex-cool" (extreme life 5-150) shares similar OAT technology from G 30, but they are not exactly the same, and what makes the difference between the two is propietary info.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool! Please share when you get them!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:28 AM

Default I have an MSDS for the Pentosin G 001200 but....

All it lists under the ingredients is ethylene glycol and "inhibitors" without listing what those inhibitors really are.

Still waiting to hear from BASF on their Glysantin G 30....
Old 09-24-2004, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Typical - protecting trade secrets.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have an MSDS for Audi/VW G 12 (Glysantin G 30 in Europe) coolant?