A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Don't check for aluminum body panels with a magnet!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't check for aluminum body panels with a magnet!!

I read an earlier post from Steve where he went over his car with a magnet to check to see what was made of Aluminum. Well, being the curious sort I thought that I would check it too. So I pull out this rare earth magnet that I have in my company's warehouse, go out to the garage, and proceed to slide it all over the car. It was dark in the garage (no lights) and I did notice that it was pretty hard to move the magnet but I figured that the magnet was smooth and it wouldn't hurt anything. Now my car has deep scratches all over it and my children think I am stupid and ... (I was going to say that my wife now thinks I am stupid but she already did).

So next time I am going to try using this 100watt CO2 laser that I have... I will measure how fast the body panel heats up at a certain distance from the laser beam, aluminum is a better conductor,... I'll need to wear some eye and skin protection so the beam doesn't burn me, yeh that's the ticket.

I guess I'm just thinking about all the crazy things I've tried or, in this case, almost tried.
Old 03-08-2001, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griot's has some gadgets ...

I think they are designed to find Bondo but if there's a readout it probably helps differentiate between steel, plastic and aluminum.

I hope you've learned there are only certain things you should do in the dark!
Old 03-08-2001, 11:58 AM

Default Aluminum magnet???

Since when does a conventional magnet stick to aluminum? Unless you were going to check for steel and make a deduction....

Way to go "Steve" with this great advice! Was that the all-knowing Steve Bollinger?

Martha Stewart comes to AudiWorld...
Old 03-08-2001, 11:58 AM

captainbilly - take a timeout!
Old 03-08-2001, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He was making the deduction
Old 03-08-2001, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey M5 ETR being a little vindictive here? I believe that @ the end...

of captainbilly's post he implies that he alomst tried this.
Old 03-08-2001, 01:56 PM

How about just wrapping the magnet in a soft cloth?
Old 03-08-2001, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you really scratch the sh*t out of your car or are you joking?
Old 03-08-2001, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default M5 ETR- What's the beef?

I don't know what your beef is with SteveB is, but your post does not contribute, and does not add to the overall knowledge of this forum, and hence our individual knowledge. I know he's helped out/contributed/guided a lot of us by answering specific questions or helping out in a general discussion- 1461 postings worth.

I'll assume you didn't know that search (https://www.audiworld.com/search/index.html) was up and running now, and before mouthing off you could've done a search to see what has been said about the Aluminum within the 2.7T.

Steve's post/findings about the aluminum have to do with the suspension. Here I'll save ya the trouble to go look for them:

https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a6/msgs/39437.phtml

https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a6/msgs/39736.phtml

https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a6/msgs/38976.phtml

This is the second time in the last 10 day's you've mouthed off about Steve(https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a6/msgs/48250.phtml), without providing something constructive or useful to the forum in return, which is in steep contrast to what Steve has been doing here for a long time now.

We just got past a pretty sad week of flame wars, and was glad to see the forum return to it's normal sense of civility. Lets try to keep it that way. It's these types of postings that might keep some of the "shy ones" out from contributing, which is a shame, because they might have some interesting view points, and information about our cars (vs. people) that we might benefit from.

Cheers,
Ernesto
Old 03-08-2001, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I was kidding but it would not have been stupidest thing

I ever did if I had actually done it. I was just thinking about how scarely powerfull some of these new magnets are (I got a piece of skin stuck between two of them once and had to rip it off because I simply could not pull them apart) and I was wondering what would happen if I went hunting for aluminum body panels with them.

Seriously though, if you get to one of those surplus places in silicon valley, buy some rare earth magnets and try them out. But remember, these are not your fathers magnets, be careful or you WILL get hurt. Don't give them to your kids and don't use them near your computer of TV, maybe near your friends computer.

Quick Reply: Don't check for aluminum body panels with a magnet!!