A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-09-2016, 10:35 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

DYI Shock Replacement on '99 A6 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYI Shock Replacement on '99 A6 quattro

My 1999 A6 quattro just turned 120,000 miles on the odometer. I'd like to replace the front and rear shocks to improve the ride quality. Will I need any special tools to change the shocks? Will the front end need to be re-alligned? I do primarily highway traveling, along with occassional two lane road driving.

What shocks would you recommend and what advice could you give me in changing the shocks.?

So far I've changed the upper and lower control arms, as well as inner and outer tie rod ends. Timing belt service done at 98,000 miles. Thanks for your help Audiworld.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

You'll need a strut compressor or a pair of them. You won't need to realign the front or rear end unless you turn an eccentric bolt head. If you know how to change an upper and lower control arm you know how to take out the spring/strut. After that, all you have to do extra is compress the spring, change out the shock, and put it back together.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: KYB shocks

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
You'll need a strut compressor or a pair of them. You won't need to realign the front or rear end unless you turn an eccentric bolt head. If you know how to change an upper and lower control arm you know how to take out the spring/strut. After that, all you have to do extra is compress the spring, change out the shock, and put it back together.
Have you ever known anyone to use KYB shocks? I like the fact the ones I'm looking at have a lifetime warranty and they are reasonably priced.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just a reminder, I would probably replace the strut mounts in the front

As long as you're in there
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I cannot recommend KYB shocks. I've never had a set last a reasonable amount of time.
If you're going to sell the car in a year, go ahead and get KYB.

Otherwise bite the bullet and get koni ør bilstein. They're also lifetime warranty although I've never been able to collect on them.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

What's involved in replacing the mounts? How long will it take and what tools are needed? Thanks again.

Curt
Old 06-01-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found a kit sold by Blau Parts. It appears to come with:

Front Shock Absorbers
(Improved 50mm verses the stock 45mm on select models.)
Front Shock Mounts
Front Shock Bump Stops
Front Shock Dust Sleeves
Front Suspension Shock Absorber Hardware Kit (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)
Rear Shock Absorbers
Rear Shock Bump Stops
Rear Shock Lower Spring Perch Plate
Rear Shock Lower Spring Perch Packing
Rear Suspension Shock Absorber Hardware Kit (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)
Includes New Camber Bolts!
Anti-Seize Assembly Lubricant
Thread Locking Compound (Req'd for Proper Reassembly

Is this a complete kit, i.e. will I need to buy anything else? $530.00 seems like a reasonable price. What do you think?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's quite reasonable considering konis will cost you $125 or more apiece for 4.

The blauparts kit also seems to contain upper shock mounts, even for the rear. Those rear bits are anywhere from $70-125 apiece and you need two.

The enhanced kit with the 50mm shocks seems like a good deal...I don't know if they're KYB shocks.

IF this kit had been available (or maybe I missed it!) a few years ago I would have done it rather than mess with the Koni shocks and the associated other bits I had to buy.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found a kit sold by Blau Parts. It appears to come with:

Front Shock Absorbers
(Improved 50mm verses the stock 45mm on select models.)
Front Shock Mounts
Front Shock Bump Stops
Front Shock Dust Sleeves
Front Suspension Shock Absorber Hardware Kit (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)
Rear Shock Absorbers
Rear Shock Bump Stops
Rear Shock Lower Spring Perch Plate
Rear Shock Lower Spring Perch Packing
Rear Suspension Shock Absorber Hardware Kit (Req'd for Proper Reassembly)
Includes New Camber Bolts!
Anti-Seize Assembly Lubricant
Thread Locking Compound (Req'd for Proper Reassembly

Is this a complete kit, i.e. will I need to buy anything else? $530.00 seems like a reasonable price. What do you think?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same as replacing the front shocks. You'll need std metric tools plus a strut compressor(s).

It takes me twenty minutes to remove a front strut and another 10 minutes or so of screwing around with a pair of strut compressors (AND a power wrench...don't ask) to get the spring off. You need to take the spring off to get the front upper shock mount off IIRC.

Worst case is the top jesus nut on the strut is really tight...have to cut it off with a dremel or cutoff wheel.
Same with the rears...except you need to cut around the old upper strut mount (it's aluminum on stock) about an inch to get to the jesus nut.

This is why you should always replace the rear upper strut mount when replacing shocks....the upper strut mount has to be destroyed and quite likely the upper shock rod cut off to remove the new shock maybe 5K miles after you install it if you don't put in a new upper strut mount.

Quick Reply: DYI Shock Replacement on '99 A6 quattro