A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Electric fan in front of radiator whining loud at highway speeds, ECON-switch doesn't make a diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric fan in front of radiator whining loud at highway speeds, ECON-switch doesn't make a diff

My 2.7T started making a loud super annoying whine a while back, first I feared it was the turbo lady. However, when the whine is occurring for long enough, like when climbing a mountain pass, the whine will continue when I come to a stop. So, as soon as it made the noise while it was idling I popped the hood and it became pretty clear that the noise is coming from the small electric fan in front of the radiator (few).

I have read on the forums that this fan only comes on with the A/C, but the econ switch and temp settings makes no difference here.... The only things that make a difference are driving speed and amount work the engine is doing (more noise when I'm pushing it, climbing and going faster)...

I have read this write up by RMcQ:
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng65.shtml

But my large fan behind the radiator is moving freely and there is no gasket caught in it that I could see...

I have replaced the small fan that is whining and that did not help. Yes, the brand new fan is just as annoyingly really frikin loud.

The only other thing I can think of is to replace the control module, but I don't know if that will help. Any ideas??

One more question about the fan control module. Is it a variable speed, 3 speed(hi/lo/off) or just an on/off switch? I was told that the fan's control module is just an on/off switch and it could not be causing this noise.

However, it seems to me that there are at least three speeds. Sometimes the small fan is spinning fast and super annoyingly loud, other times it's moving but relatively quite and other times it's dead stopped...

Also, anyone know how to test the control module?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Oh yeah, no VAG codes.

I'm ordering a Bently CD now... I wish there was somewhere to DOWNLOAD it from - I mean mailing a CD in 2007! c'mon
Old 01-19-2007, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The relay (module) might be stuck(?) Does the fan come on regardless of HVAC on/off?

Try this, turn the car on and turn the HVAC to OFF...then watch the fan (and watch your fingers), does it come on & whine?

Maybe have someone do a Vag-Com scan.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

YES, the fan come on regardless of the HVAC, I have a vag, no codes.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmm, might be a bad controller(?)

It's located under the driver's side engine support/frame member...might be accessible through the left grill or from underneath with the belly pan removed.

I'd look for confirmation before you potentially replace the wrong bit...just in case I don't, in fact, know everything. :P

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I will post back as soon as I find out more...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great sig pic