A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Eng oil & coolant temp 25-50 degrees too high!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
It's not that much different from any electrical diagnostic on any other modern car, in fact, probably better

First, switch the buttons ?

You will do well do acquire VAG-COM / VCDS from Ross-Tech if you at all want to get anywhere in diagnosing anything with this car. Without it, you're at the mercy of (in)competent mechanics.

And where did you take it for an oil change? Find a good independent mechanic that works on Audis.
Thanks, i took it to a tire kingdom but, not the one i normally go to, they do a good job(changing oil!) And i bought a two for two, buy two get two free, deal and i really only paid for one and have three free $139 syn oil changes left, a good deal if it gets done right.

Anyway, i actually have the repair manual on dvd, but my laptop crashed last week so i figured id try asking if anyone has had similar issues and bypass or shortcut the troubleshoot/electrical diagnostic steps. I know better but, it was worth a shot!

Since this morning i have found both condenser and radiator fans are not turning on, just need to determine if its the motors, not too likely for both to go out at the same time(or is it?) ,or switch(es)? Then its on to the radio fuse, any ideas about that? No aftermarket equipment, btw...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to have repair manuals, but I didn't see anything in your comment about VCDS... Haven't it? If so, obtain it!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by joe audi
Thanks, i took it to a tire kingdom but, not the one i normally go to, they do a good job(changing oil!) And i bought a two for two, buy two get two free, deal and i really only paid for one and have three free $139 syn oil changes left, a good deal if it gets done right.

Anyway, i actually have the repair manual on dvd, but my laptop crashed last week so i figured id try asking if anyone has had similar issues and bypass or shortcut the troubleshoot/electrical diagnostic steps. I know better but, it was worth a shot!

Since this morning i have found both condenser and radiator fans are not turning on, just need to determine if its the motors, not too likely for both to go out at the same time(or is it?) ,or switch(es)? Then its on to the radio fuse, any ideas about that? No aftermarket equipment, btw...
Not unusual to have the fan motor and control module go out at the same time.
Expensive, too.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So if air blows over the radiator all is well.

At slow speeds there is no natural airflow, but you have a fan.

Is it working?

Another thought is the coolant is circulated by a pump driven off the crankshaft. This means that water flow is proportional to RPM (maybe a proxy for speed?). Might a failing water pump (broken vanes) be a possible culprit. This fits less well to the facts than the fan.

Grant
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me

Is it working?

Another thought is the coolant is circulated by a pump driven off the crankshaft. This means that water flow is proportional to RPM (maybe a proxy for speed?). Might a failing water pump (broken vanes) be a possible culprit. This fits less well to the facts than the fan.

Grant
his fans arent turning on ..
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Just Me

Is it working?

Grant
Thanks Grant... yeah, all fluid levels are constant, so no leaks externally or internally that i can imagine.

Going to test the fan motors in a couple minutes, i'll let you know how it turns out, thanks again!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good to have repair manuals, but I didn't see anything in your comment about VCDS... Haven't it? If so, obtain it!
No, what is VCDS?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by joe audi
No, what is VCDS?
I have the Bently Publishers Audi 1998-2005 Repair Manual on DVD-ROM, but like I said earlier in this thread, my laptop just crashed,so right now i'm sol!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said in my previous post "You will do well do acquire VAG-COM / VCDS from Ross-Tech if you at all want to get anywhere in diagnosing anything with this car"

Ross-Tech is the maker of it, more info on their website. It is the only scanner software that lets you access every module on your car in the same way as the dealer. So for any diagnostics, this is it.

And you will need a laptop for this to work.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As I said in my previous post "You will do well do acquire VAG-COM / VCDS from Ross-Tech if you at all want to get anywhere in diagnosing anything with this car"

Ross-Tech is the maker of it, more info on their website. It is the only scanner software that lets you access every module on your car in the same way as the dealer. So for any diagnostics, this is it.

And you will need a laptop for this to work.
I'll look into it, thanks again!

Fan motors working fine! Must be a switch!?

Quick Reply: Eng oil & coolant temp 25-50 degrees too high!