A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

engine leaking coolant, help! just installed afterrun thermoswitch..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine leaking coolant, help! just installed afterrun thermoswitch..

when I pulled my old one out, oddly enough, there wasnt an O-ring on the bottom of it. I proceeded to install my new one (blue one with O-ring) and noticed (after driving ten minutes to raise my oil temp) after stopping that it had leaked almost half of my coolant tank, with the engine compartment smoking. After reaching my hand down into the "hot as hell" engine compartment, I notcied the sensor was easily movable and not well connected. I am currently waiting for the engine to cool down to where I can open the coolant cap and start over again trying to figure out what happened and why it is so flimsy. My guess is that the first o-ring was stuck in there and the second on top of it left a gap for the coolant to leak. The fan turns on sure enough so the piece (of ****) works, however, my coolant tank is almost bone dry. Anyone have any advice?? TIA
Old 09-03-2004, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

might be just stating the obvious here..but be sure you only use the red coolant (G12 i believe)
Old 09-03-2004, 01:42 PM

Default I think you have it right, two O rings in there. I am installing my new switch tonight.

I will be watching for the same issue. But be sure you get the pink stuff to go back in.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 PM

Default nope, only one ring!

for some reason, when i put the stock one back in, it is suprisingly easy to pull both units out by hand, with both metal fasteners in place. i am simply baffled and audi cant get me in until tuesday. any other ideas guys? I called the service dept and spoke in detail with one of the techs, he recommened that i add some water so i can make the drive to the dealership on tuesday. i just dont get it. help?? Mark, let me know if you run into the same issue hopefully we can both fix it if you do...
Old 09-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Sorry for all the posts, but MarkW read this

You're gonna need to shove that sucker in there reallll hard to get the plastic retainer clip to secure it down, nearly burnt my hand off. Now just waiting to see what kind of water to add to the pink stuff in order to fire this baby up and see if it leaks still. Thanks all
Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

let's hope mark doesn't run into this issue...
Old 09-03-2004, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I assume you re-installed the clip to secure the switch, right?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Fixed it!

You gotta push that sucker in so hard (I burned my hand doing it) and got the clip on. It's a bit tricky however I think I was just being a bit too delicate to begin with. Now the problem is replacing the 3/4 of a tank of coolant that I leaked with the pink stuff, and the stealership parts dept. is closed until tuesday! doh! I'm gonna take a run down to the service dept. and see if one of the techs will hook up some coolant for me. Then I'll go from there and watch it to make sure it doesnt leak anymore. How long do you guys think you could go with distilled mixed in? I didnt do it because I didnt want to have to pay for a flush, so I'll drive my 2nd car down there to try and finagle some pepto for my engine. Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew! :-)
Old 09-04-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Or not!

I'm not really sure whats going on now with my cooling system. I filled up some distilled water, and it looks like I have a slow leak. Plus, each time I turn the ignition I hear some sort of squirting noise? Not really sure what the deal is and quite frankly im just too frustrated to tinker any more with this. I'll be taking it to the stealership on Tuesday..I must be my aftermarket warranty companies worst nightmare.

Quick Reply: engine leaking coolant, help! just installed afterrun thermoswitch..