A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine running rough, stalling, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine running rough, stalling, etc.

I haven't read this forum for a long time, so I hope I am not repeating already known information. I have posted here in the past about my A6 2.7TT running very rough, stalling and refusing to move the car when I first start it in the morning after sitting all night. It runs like an old, out of tune 30 year old clunker ready for the junkyard or an engine rebuild. This happens until it is sufficiently warmed up and the car can then move and the engine is running smoother. Does Audi have this engine sorted out yet? It is as if I have their first prototype engine under development. Do any of you have this problem? One year ago, I had it to two dealers many times, got AoA involved (they did NOTHING but insult my intelligence) but no one was able to do anything but recommend using regular (89 octane) gasoline, which I refuse to do. I will not take it back to the dealer again until he tells me he has a fix for it. I have found much more help on this forum. This, and other problems, have ruined my ownership experience with Audi (this is the first, and probably the last, Audi I will ever own).

Do any of you have any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2001, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Engine running rough, stalling, etc.

At the very least ask for a ECU reprogram. I've noticed substantial improvement since mine was done. My problem was in cold weather only, but the dealer told me it fixed another car much worse than mine. I was told that Audi's re-mapped ECU progam was recently EPA approved. My dealer could not do this reprogram, my ECU was sent by the dealer to Audi in NJ for re-programing. Audi paid for the 3 days of loaner car. I assume your dealer will not know about this yet. They may have to call Audi for help. If this does not fix it, insist on brining in the OTS from Audi, there are other potential problem areas they could look at.
Old 04-14-2001, 07:13 AM

Default possibilities...

not sure if the same would apply to a 2.7t, but I assume so.
Over on the Misc. Model forums often the recomendation for rough idling, stalling falls under the lines of

Make sure your O2 Sensors are ok, get them checked out possibily replaced.
Replace your fuel filter and run some high grade fuel injection cleaners.
Get your spark plugs checked out.

Sorry to hear your having this sorta problem, havn't seen anyone with a simmilar problem on such a new car. Seams like something that plagues older cars.
Old 04-14-2001, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Style and Rick , cleaning your ISC Valve is usally a first step I think.

Rick, most the wrench heads hang out at the Misc forum. This forum isn't much help to mechanics.

Seach the Misc forum for rough idle.

Read the message the URL points too for more sources of information.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/54885.phtml">Advice</a></li></ul>
Old 04-14-2001, 08:47 AM
Elder Member

Default more possibilities

some who have had poor operation during warmup have had success with replacing the coolant temperature sensor. The coolant temperature sensor tells the car that it is cold and should run a richer mixture and such.

If your dealer hasn't tried this, perhaps you could recommend it. I believe the cost of the part and labor is minimal.

Although search doesn't return anything after January 20th this year, I believe if you search this forum for "coolant temperature sensor" you might find some more info.
Old 04-14-2001, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the link...from Richard's goody file :)

Sounds just like your problem. FWIW, I don't think there's an ISC on DBW cars like the 2.7T...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/35771.phtml">Fix for cold rough idling Problem...Instead of lower octane is...</a></li></ul>
Old 04-14-2001, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Engine running rough, stalling, etc.

Here in New Mexico, the refineries started delivering "summer blended" fuel around the first of April. My 01 does not like it at all...behaving as you describe. It clears up if I just let the car idle for 10 seconds or so before selecting a gear (tip).

Regards