A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine shut off while downshifting on highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shut off while downshifting on highway

I was driving on the highway yesterday, going approximately 70 MPH. I entered a construction zone and had to slow down to 45MPH. I tried to downshift from sixth to fourth but when I pushed the clutch the car kind of jerked and when I tried to shift into fourth gear and pressed the accelerator, the car just revved like it wasnt in gear.

I pressed the clutch in to try to get back into gear and then I realized that the engine had shut off. The traffic was luckily not too bad and I was able to get to the shoulder.

I let the car sit for about 10 minutes before I tried starting it again. It started but only got to about 900 rpm and quickly went back to zero within a few seconds. The car was moderately shaking when the engine was on.

I got it towed. By the time I got it off the tow, it would crank but it would not start..

There was no check engine light or any other indicator lit up. The vehicle was driving great and it was out of the blue. I had a quarter of a tank left.

Any ideas of what could have gone wrong?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Hard to say much without codes.

Fuel pump?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should include it is a 2001 2.7T A6
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Hard to say much without codes.

Fuel pump?
i will update with codes later today.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default got word from mechanic

he said that two codes came up. one was a catalytic converter code and the other was about a turbo shut off (i am having a leak in one of the turbos).

he said he originally thought i ran out of gas but when they put more gas into the car and it didnt start they checked the fuel pump and said it was "totally belly up shot".

quoted me at $850. What do you guys think about that price?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Fuel pump part is $200-300

I don't recall where it is in a C5. If its in the gas tank, that's several hours and requries special tools and rather uncomfortable working.

Others may be more familiar.

G
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the mechanic said that it was inside the tank and that they would have to drop down the tank and install a "special part"..
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

That price sounds ridiculously expensive. I'd want to know more about the "special part" that needs to be installed and why the pump cannot be changed using the access in the trunk.

Does this mechanic have Audi experience?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BS, the fuel pump is par of the fuel sender unit and is EASY to install. you do NOT need to drop the tank, ask him WHAT special part ne needs to install to drop the tank. that is total and utter BS. look up the bosch pump replacement, its a guide on replacing the stock pump with a bosch high flow pump, just follow that doc ument but use OEM instead of the opgraded part. or take the time and upgrade your fuel pump while your there?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
That price sounds ridiculously expensive. I'd want to know more about the "special part" that needs to be installed and why the pump cannot be changed using the access in the trunk.

Does this mechanic have Audi experience?
They do have Audi experience but Im not sure how much. It is advertised a a foreign car repair for german vehicles. I have done work with him in the past. He replaced an alternator last year for I think around $600-700. I will ask about the part and update. I really appreciate your help on this.

Quick Reply: Engine shut off while downshifting on highway