A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine shut off while downshifting on highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
BS, the fuel pump is par of the fuel sender unit and is EASY to install. you do NOT need to drop the tank, ask him WHAT special part ne needs to install to drop the tank. that is total and utter BS. look up the bosch pump replacement, its a guide on replacing the stock pump with a bosch high flow pump, just follow that doc ument but use OEM instead of the opgraded part. or take the time and upgrade your fuel pump while your there?
i will research and talk to the mechanic about it. thanks for your help.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng95.shtml

states 2.5 hours job, with the fuel pump being serviced via the access point under the rear seat... dropping the gas tank my ***! seriously if you have any sort of mechanical knowhow and the tools, do it yourself, really easy

plus we are always here to help!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default mechanic answers..

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng95.shtml

states 2.5 hours job, with the fuel pump being serviced via the access point under the rear seat... dropping the gas tank my ***! seriously if you have any sort of mechanical knowhow and the tools, do it yourself, really easy

plus we are always here to help!
OK. talked to the mechanic. lol, funny thing i noticed is that as i keep calling him and asking specific questions, he is becoming quite rude.

He now said that there is no "special" part, he just said that he needs the entire fuel pump assembly and his cost would be $390.

I asked why he couldnt go through the access under the seat and he said you would still have to "lower the gas tank because there is not enough room to get the pump through the access hole." I told him that people have detailed instructions how online and he didnt say anything. Then I said thanks for the info and he just hung up.

I feel like im good at following instructions so I am going to take a leap of faith and get it towed to my dads place because he has all of those tools. Just to confirm, the instructions you sent will work for the 2001 model?

If this works, you guys are life savers.
-Luke
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

also, where do you guys recommend getting a fuel pump assembly? ive never bought parts online before..
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes it will work, check mjm autohaus or ECS tuning, those are my stops for parts, im sure other will Chime in!

glad you called him on the BS, sick of mechanics doing that with these cars, it drives up the cost of ownership and lowers the resale value screwing over people that own the car
Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes it will work, check mjm autohaus or ECS tuning, those are my stops for parts, im sure other will Chime in!

glad you called him on the BS, sick of mechanics doing that with these cars, it drives up the cost of ownership and lowers the resale value screwing over people that own the car
I cant say enough how much I appreciate your quick and intelligent responses. One more for now.. do you recommend getting an official audi fuel pump assembly or should I go for the Walbro that was shown being installed in the tutorial write up?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

walbro and VDO are the OEM suppliers for Audi i believe, same manufacturer but no audi label. is up to you, i would go OEM and whatever is cheapest/best warranty/return policy
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that's nice to hear. yes, i think i recall seeing an access panel in the rear onmy C5. I was fearing it might be like the C4, in which the pump was in the bottom of the tank, and you had to remove a trap door in the top of the tank, then buys special tool to remove the fuel pump, which is int he bottom - then get at the wires from beneath. Ugh.

This sounds much easier. Same on an avant?

G
Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

anyone who hangs up on you needs replacement before your fuel pump does.

That sounds quite pricey for a pump too. Mine (84, 91) were all about $270, and the C4 one that led me astray, if i recall (it was not mine) was $170. Plus to tool, whcih was abut $70.

G
Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Any work you can accomplish yourself willbe hugely satisfying. Just be really carefull working around gas.

Last edited by Airbag; 03-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine shut off while downshifting on highway