A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine Squeaking noise - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure it is not the electric fans on mine. I am due for a control module replacement, and one of the fans is siezed due to the rubber getting caught in the spokes. The one that works sounds like a jet when it comes on.

I will try to get under the hood with some help to better ID my problem. It usually does not make the sound at idle, so I need someone to work the throttle to zero in.

John E
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Water pump is driven by the timing belt, not the serp belt.

You can try squirting water on the serp belt and see if it quiets down...that indicates a slipping serp belt.
It takes a lot to make a serp slip...or a weak serp tensioner or a bad alternator or dying AC pulley/clutch.

Try putting the AC on/off (use the econ switch on the climate control board) and see if the sound changes.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by towertro11
I am pretty sure it is not the electric fans on mine. I am due for a control module replacement, and one of the fans is siezed due to the rubber getting caught in the spokes. The one that works sounds like a jet when it comes on.

I will try to get under the hood with some help to better ID my problem. It usually does not make the sound at idle, so I need someone to work the throttle to zero in.

John E
Did you replace your TB tensioner during the last TB service? Failing tensioner can let TB belt to flap about a bit and make odd noises. If you do isolate it to the TB area then fix it ASAP. If from serp area then you have a little time without huge worries.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you're good, you can do this w/o service position. Just drop the belly pan, pull down on the serp belt, insert allen wrench into serp belt tensioner hole, remove serp belt, start engine and listen up.

Reverse procedure (you DID remember to visualize or photograph or diagram the serp belt routing, right?) and pull the allen wrench and replace the belly pan to get back to start.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If you're good, you can do this w/o service position. Just drop the belly pan, pull down on the serp belt, insert allen wrench into serp belt tensioner hole, remove serp belt, start engine and listen up.

Reverse procedure (you DID remember to visualize or photograph or diagram the serp belt routing, right?) and pull the allen wrench and replace the belly pan to get back to start.
UPDATE: I removed the serpentine belt and the noise did not change. On my car this noise is NOT coming from the fans, either. I can change from air to econ and it doesn't change.

To me I think it may either be something on the timing belt (yikes!) or something on the valve train...ideas?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Water pump? I would not drive that car 10 feet until you figure this out.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, from January to March you've driven this car with this noise so it's probably not going to fail imminently although it COULD seize up almost anytime.

Get a long screwdriver and use it as a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate the sound. With the serp belt off there should be minimal stuff moving around and you can isolate the sound to one area. It's gotta be something to do with the timing belt, though, so you could just as easily cut to the chase and pull the front end open and do a TB service...complete with tensioners, idlers, and water pump/thermostat.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default UPDATE

Well, I have found the problem....and we have a winner - 4Driver4 correctly guessed WATER PUMP! I was very lucky to get out of this without bent valves, I think. The water leaking got worse and worse. One day driving home from work about 4 miles it dumped about a gallon and I finally decided I absolutely must stop driving (duh!). I already had all the parts for the full timing belt, water pump, etc ordered.

THE WATER PUMP BEARINGS WERE COMPLETELY SHOT AFTER ONLY 38K MILES!!

Pictures show the water pump, and the damage it was doing to the timing belt, because the worn bearings were allowing the belt to move off center. You can see the amount of timing belt that was shredded. There was a ton of belt fibers in inside the TB covers. Also the cam seals were leaking so I got to replace them.

Lesson learned...parts can fail at any time, even way under the mileage it should take.
Attached Images      
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two lessons:

1. Pardon my French. But never f*ck around with anything timing belt -related.

2. OEM parts last long. Replacement parts often suck @ss. I did the timing belt on my A6 25K miles ago. Now the thermostat is stuck open.

ALWAYS get high quality parts, especially the critical ones.

Congrats that your engine didn't bend any valves! Huge relief, no doubt.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

check your cams. From the photo on the right that shows both cam diamond washers it looks like they are not lined up. Right one looks like eleven o'clock and the left one looks like ten. Might be the camera angle but still check it.

Quick Reply: Engine Squeaking noise - what is it?