A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine stalled 3 times this morning before starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalled 3 times this morning before starting

This issue has returned please help!!

Previous thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2848063

I've ruled out the fuel pump (new) and previously replaced the coolant temp sensor and cleaned the throttle.

There are no codes registering, the check engine doesn't turn on when it stalls and dies.

When you crank the engine it fires then immediately dies. On the fourth try I feathered the throttle as soon as it fired and got it to idle.

Does anyone have a write up of cleaning the throttle? Maybe I need to re-clean it or didn't clean it enough the first time.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pearlwhitesix

Previous thread:

I've ruled out the fuel pump (new) and previously replaced the coolant temp sensor and cleaned the throttle.

There are no codes registering, the check engine doesn't turn on when it stalls and dies.

When you crank the engine it fires then immediately dies. On the fourth try I feathered the throttle as soon as it fired and got it to idle.

Does anyone have a write up of cleaning the throttle? Maybe I need to re-clean it or didn't clean it enough the first time.
I would hook up vag-com and check values on measuring blocks for air intake temperature. Do the same for coolant temperature. See what it outputs.

Log it into a CSV file.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks GTA, I tried to log and my vagcom started saying it couldn't sync the baud rate?

I pulled the air pipes and cleaned the throttle again, neither time it was dirty at all. I scrubbed the contacts with an eraser and this time I *gently* bent the little throttle contact arms out a bit in case one wasn't making contact.

This seemed to have done the trick, as the engine starts perfectly now, cold or hot. I'm going to keep an eye out but I hope this did the trick!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this has solved your problem - great find. If not, here are some wild guesses and thoughts.

1. How did you "rule out" the fuel pump? I recently had one go bad, spent a ton of time diagnosing and it was spraying fuel out the hoses when I pulled it out so I thought it was good. I put it back in, and still nothing. Turned out it was bad and I just got it to run during the diagnosis due to bad luck.

2. Did you check all of your fuel pump relays and wiring? It is fairly simple. Basically make sure you have 10-12V at the connector and then make sure you have continuity between the pins on the pump and the pins on the connector.

3. Check your evap system - if you have a Vag Com I believe you can run the output tests and the solenoid should click on and off.

4. Did you do a throttle body alignment with the vag com?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by pearlwhitesix

Previous thread:

Find the vacuum leak. Or not.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-11-2013 at 04:05 AM.