A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine wont start first try when cooled off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ajajaj, i guess our cars dont have a fuel rail pressure sensor. looked from 100-109 and not there. =( I guess i'll take it to a shop, and hopefully its a simple hose job.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default car died

so I was living with the issue of it not starting on the first try since I posted it here.
and last night after a 2 hour drive the car is dead, wont start at all, just cranks and cranks, almost starts to hesitate but doesn't catch on. what the hell can it be? I just took the fuel pump out and tested it, its working fine.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's more likely bad if you've replaced it than if you haven't. Always look at the last thing you touched. My money was on vacuum leaks, but now, not so much.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default got it started again, but i cant live with this

car is pretty much useless now since I cant go somewhere and park without worrying if it will start again and then i'll have to pay for a tow truck.

anyways, i did order a coolant temp sensor, so I'll change that when it gets here, I have my doubts about that being the problem but who knows with these cars.
<b>Any ideas are welcome,</b> i'm even considering asking my local shop if they can check the fuel pressure. That way I can eliminate leaking fuel lines...

I really need this fixed, I cant live like this. This is like the most mysterious problem ever. My engine runs like its new but I have to worry if it will start or not. GRRRR
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default dead again

wont start again, cranks cranks, no go.

I took the accordian hose off, sprayed 2 seconds of starter fluid, I can get the car to run for 2 seconds before it dies. So it seems I have spark but no fuel...

Oh, and to keep it running on the starter fluid I have to tap on the gas pedal, and sometimes there is this tractor gear sound from the middle of the engine when i rev it up ....

Any ideas? Please
Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

i tried to jump the fuel pump relay, but i dunno if i had good contact with regular 110v power cord. I jumped 30 to 87A and 87 still didn't start... Do I need better jumper cables or it should have worked if it was indeed the fuel pump relay thats bad...?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

i took the cover off the fuel pump, and put a meter on the connecter, it stays at 0 when i put the key to on, but when i turn to start the voltage goes up...

I connected the connecter and put my hand on the cover to the fuel pump, and tried to start the car, I didn't really hear anything or feel anything...

i'm going to take the fuel pump out again and test it once again. ughhh soo annoying. =(
Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default F$*(

It was actually my fuel pump. Since the problem was intermittant, it explains why it worked the first time I took it out. This time its dead. Ughhh these cars are sooo annoying. Heh. But I still love my car, minus the fuel pump, lol.

So who has a brand new oem one laying around? I'll take one for $100 =D
badinstincts at yahoo.com
Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

well, so i wanted to see if I can clean the fuel pump a little and get it to run while i wait for the replacement to come. I tapped it a little to free it up, it started running again so I cleaned it up a little, vacuum cleaner and some electrical cleaning spray. Put it back in and got the car started, took a couple of tries with a lot of hesitation... So I let the car run for a minute and shut it off to see if it was reliable for the moment.
Nope, wont start again, ughhh. I guess I cant use my car until I get the new one, unless I want to take the fuel pump out every time to free it up... Ajajaj
Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did it end?

Sooo, what did you finally decide was the problem to the car not starting when semi-cold. I'm having the same problem with a 2013 TT

Originally Posted by badinstincts
well, so i wanted to see if I can clean the fuel pump a little and get it to run while i wait for the replacement to come. I tapped it a little to free it up, it started running again so I cleaned it up a little, vacuum cleaner and some electrical cleaning spray. Put it back in and got the car started, took a couple of tries with a lot of hesitation... So I let the car run for a minute and shut it off to see if it was reliable for the moment.
Nope, wont start again, ughhh. I guess I cant use my car until I get the new one, unless I want to take the fuel pump out every time to free it up... Ajajaj

Quick Reply: Engine wont start first try when cooled off...