A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Erratically Functioning ABS Controller - With Optional Background & DIY Philosophy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Summary of what I learned from this thread...

just to add to the "poll"...
same problem started about a month ago after I had a local shop chip me. Apparently moving the wiring harness around while messing with the ECU was enough to set it off. I now have the issue - Audi want the $1300, AND.. get this.. the VAG failure that accompanies this is prohibiting me from getting an emissions test, so my tag will expire at the end of the month... particularly important since I am otherwise not too concerned with ABS. SO... I'm screwed too. I found a guy with a 01 in his salvage yard. I'm going to send him your web info/diagram and see if I can get the electronic module, and then perhaps have said shop replace it if possible.
Oh yeah.. on the way to all the emissions discoveries the majority of my boost became replaced with a loud sucking sound.. throttle body boot maybe.. haven't paid it much attention yet since I was distracted by learning I couldn't renew my license.. because it was suspended two years ago... for a ticket I've confirmed was paid... here we go.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Erratically Functioning ABS Controller - With Optional Background & DIY Philosophy

I found a guy in FL with a whole pump assembly for $500. needless to say he isn't interested in selling just the electronic component.

anyone find it cheaper? That car-part service is shaky... the results always include all kinds of cross listed parts.. a4, passat, etc. Has anyone checked the interchange number to see what other models will work?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Erratically Functioning ABS Controller - With Optional Background & DIY Philosophy

I have a 2000 A6 with the EXACT same problem. My rear brakes needed new pads, but I told the dealer about the ABS light & he was concerned. He fixed the rear pads, but couldn't get a read on the ABS light problem. He advised he's been seeing more & more of this problem. He wants me to come back in a couple weeks. My brakes seem to work fine (I have no maintenance knowledge), but I have the same indicator light situation you described.
The Dealer advised he would either need to replace the ABS pump for $1,300 or it's a electrical console problem which would run $800. I read online here about a $200 bosch part and asked the dealer about that. The Dealer said that may work, but he believes it has a seperate control system that may not be reliable. I'm at a loss as what to do as well...I'd rather just pull the plug on this light!
Sorry, I'm not much help, but wanted to pass on what the dealer advised me.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 AM

hi, is there a way of getting rid of the annoying beeps and abs error ?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 AM

hi

i have the same problem as you re the abs.
can i simply disable the warning light?.
everything else seems to work.
i took mine to an audi dealer and it looks like its a $3000 job. i only spent $15k on mine
Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow, funny how far we've come with this problem - I do this repair now for $100

anybody reading this who has similar issues, send me an email and I help you repair yours. Unfortunately it seems like this happens to all the A6 modules eventually.

sidespar@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ABS Moduel Repair Solution

Originally Posted by sidespar
anybody reading this who has similar issues, send me an email and I help you repair yours. Unfortunately it seems like this happens to all the A6 modules eventually.

sidespar@yahoo.com
Instrument malfunctions such as no tach, alarms, ABS and Brake lights are due to ABS module problems (I have a 1998 A6) ABS modules can be repaired easily for $180:

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/servi...t_clusters.php

BCGreening@comcast.net
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ABS Controller TU

I had the classic symptoms on my 2000 C5Q 2.7t at about 85k miles. Sent the ABS controller to "sidespar" (above) and his service was prompt, the price reasonable, and the controller seems to be fixed (it works and does not cause a dash alarm). Good experience.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ABS Controller-Instrument Cluster Alarms

It seems that you have a connection problem. I own a 1998 Audi A6 with 135k miles. My problem was similar-warning beeps, no tachometer, ABS and Brake indicators.

A rebuild of the ABS module by www.modulemaster.com for $160 solved it. Couldn't be more simple once I diagnosed the source of the indicator lights. However, it seems you have a connection problem as well. I also rebuilt the IC since the display was faded. This cured all of the problems.