A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ESP-Off experiment: aggressive driving, brake dust, and tire wear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP-Off experiment: aggressive driving, brake dust, and tire wear...

Now that I commute on high-speed, winding CA Highway 17, I find that my rear wheels have more brake dust than the front. Odd.

Then, I noticed that my right rear tire was worn out well before the others. Still not sure why. But I had a new front right tire put on several months ago. Perhaps either the difference in size or the difference in grip might be triggering more ESP-controlled braking on the right rear wheel than the left. Perhaps.

But these led me to wonder. Yes, I drive aggressively. Am I causing the ESP to operate? I have never seen the light come on (other than pushing the ESP button), even when the car is clearly sliding. So, for all I know, it may be kicking in early.

So, I turned off ESP for the round trip to work and back. The car seemed to handle differently. Steering was a bit more jumpy and light. Perhaps, hard to judge on just one round trip. But I never caught any evidence of obvious front-end push or outright instability. I'll keep trying.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A4AdMan (B6 A4 Forum) was wondering the same thing about the brake dust...

I think the concensus was that the front wheels get more of the swirling air so that might account for less dust on the outside of the wheels.

But, that is only a theory, unproven, and okay...maybe just a shot in the dark!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:43 PM
RLG
AudiWorld Super User

The first thing I do whenever I turn on the car is turn off the ESP...
Old 05-17-2006, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Woo hoo! Way to go... keep it sideways, or get it off the road.

The rear pad wear/dust is not uncommon. Prevailing theory is that it's a combination of brake bias regulation, ESP and EDL.

The single rear wear is weird though... unless alignment is off.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I am not a big fan of ESP.

Continue your experiment and note changes in fuel economy and brake dust.

I doubt the slight difference in tire size is related to the excessive rear tire wear. Sounds more like ESP doing it's job...maybe on long right hand sweepers?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I got more dust on rears when I went to 17's from 16's. I thought that was weird.

I think I'll try switching off ESP and then see what changes on dust.

BTW: I LOVE Hiway 17. I used to go out that way a lot. My company had a Condo in Saratoga at The Vindyards where 85 crosses Saratoga Ave. Every weekend I was there I woould go over 17 to play Pasatiempo which is one of my favorite golf courses in the country.

I think hiway 9 up out of Saratoga is fun too. The crazy motorcyle riders make that one interesting.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 AM
Fear the Miata!

well you can't tun esp off all the way.......it says on if you"get into trouble".....
Old 05-18-2006, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When I get ESP intervention, its been obvious. It feels like the engine losing

power which I assume is the rear breaks loading down the engine. I took my favorite banked on-ramp both ways. W/o ESP my exit speed was 10 mph higher with no signifigant sliding just a bit of understear early in the corner. I leave ESP on for normal driving since it would probably be benificial in emergency situations (avoiding the oblivious driver).
Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I forget sometimes to switch it off at the track...it's pretty dang obvious

the first time through a spirited corner that it's on...!@#$@#$...reach up and turn it off.

I've seen it working in a wet skidpad/lane change exercises and the rear wheels are locking and unlocking like crazy.

I agree with Robert...turn that crap off (unless it's raining outside).
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Fear the Miata!

Default i usually keep it off especially on the track....unless the track is new to me...then i keep it on

for a lap or two....don't want to have an early agricultural excursion...or if it's raining....8^)

Quick Reply: ESP-Off experiment: aggressive driving, brake dust, and tire wear...