A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Ever damage your front bumper cover pulling OUT of a parking spot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not entirely true, what if you were picking up additional passengers?
Old 01-15-2002, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can you post the details of the mechanical defect you mention for all of us to read about?
Old 01-15-2002, 03:50 PM

Default Re: It's NOT possible to only make contact on the way out...

Wrong answer.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Can you post the details of the mechanical defect you mention for all of us to read about?

Send me an e-mail at cjensen@esi-int.com, or contact me at 800-874-1450, and I will fill you in on what we have learned.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm suspicious...

Why did this investigator bring up this topic, yet is willing to only privately email recipients with what he believes to be the cause of this bumper problem instead of sharing his thoughts with the rest of the board??
Old 01-15-2002, 04:12 PM
RSC
AudiWorld Senior Member

So why can't you tell us all about the defect so we can have an open discussion?
Old 01-15-2002, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not trying to be rude but, we are not talking rocket science here . . .

the underbody lip on the A6 lower front fascia can catch on something when in reverse. You can simply get on your back slide under the car slightly and run your finger along the lip to identify its location. It can be visually identified also.

Not hitting something while pulling into or over a curb/curb stop is completely logical. It can take only millimeters of difference in ground clearance to create a problem. The lip can and should quietly slide over the curb and then rest beyond it when parked. Then when in reverse you catch the lip on the curb. If you are reversing while accelerating it will not be noticed and you will pull the fascia off.

If you idle reverse you will literally feel the car being restriced and terminate the reverse. The solution is to not pull up and over the catch point or make sure you do not pull over a curb stop and subsequently increase the load (lowers the ground clearance).

The easiest fix is to ensure that you do not pull over curbs and curb stops. The difference between butting the tires against the stop and keeping a safe distance in about six inches maximum.

Once you have identified the stop point you become fairly skilled in judging a safe distance while still parking snug. When able, back in parking is a no brainer.

I'm not an Audi apologist and I most certainly can identify with the frustration you may be feeling with this expensive inconvenience. My guess is that you have asked your dealer to pay for the damage and they have declined. You have every right to seek recourse if you feel an injustice. However, it may come down to an analysis of operator error.

Is the design poor? It is certainly not a great design because if the operator creates the right set of circumstances damage can occur. The criteria for said circumstances is not difficult to achieve. Therfore, it increases the percentage of incidence.

I have owned other non modified German cars (two) with front aerodynamic ground effects far more aggressive than the Audi A6. Ground clearance was less and if you were not vigilant, damage could occur in the most innocuous of circumstances.

Your inquiry is certainly legitimate. However, if you are insinuating some form of eventual class action my support for your dilemma recedes. This is a matter of technical issues. Technically, this will come down to a question of whether or not ground clearance was disclosed, and if it is reasonably accurate on an unladen (not including fuel) vehicle IMO. That is going to be one tough argument.

Sorry for rambling. It is not fun to have this happen to your car. I can certainly identify with any owner who has had a problem with this area. However, it would best be left to your private insurance company to handle any claims. Most people don't want to go this route because it will be declared the fault of the insured(you). Therefore you stand the chance of having your rates reflect the incident in the future.

Hope this helps or at least provides some useful (no jokes Phred) information.

Brian
Old 01-15-2002, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and yes, Audi should take the same approach and make a simple fix.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Elder Member

Default stop playing games...

either you have the information and the courage of your convictions and you'll post the information, or you'll continue to play the "nanny nanny poo poo" game that you've started.

I'm interested but don't need to give you my email, so how about sharing your secret storehouse of knowledge?
Old 01-15-2002, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default no no no. This is not about the truth, it is this guy trying to get Audi to pay

for the repair on his dad's car.

The truth is that this IS a design flaw, mostly based on Audi's lack of car sales for so many years in the US. They produced a group of cars with a lower front valance precisely the right height to silently move over a standard Ameircan curb or parking stop, and then HOOK on to it on the way out.

Most cars have some sort of tow hook, or sub frame, or secondary piece of plastic that will GIVE both going in and backing out. My rental Caddy scraped on EVERY curb and parking stop I drove up to, but never peeled the bumper.

From what I remember in Germany, there is almost no parking where you pull straight in, like at a 7-11, and the parking stops are low. Therefore there is no problem over there, or the Germans would be HOWLING!

What this is NOT, in any way, is a MECHANICAL DEFECT.

So Mr. PI, go bark up another tree. If you want to sue AoA, do your own research. Believe me, I am not a big fan of them, but this is silly.

Quick Reply: Ever damage your front bumper cover pulling OUT of a parking spot?