A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Exhaust rattles. Suspect cats. Straight pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust rattles. Suspect cats. Straight pipe??

Hey guys,
I'm suspecting that I need one or two new catalytic converters. Rattling and general ugly sounds coming from that area. Instead of spending a fortune on new ones (its my winter car so I'm looking for the inexpensive route), would straight pipes be alright? I know that I'd be doing worse for the environment but lets face it, the 4.2 isn't a green producing motor. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim
'02 S6 Avant
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TimZ
Hey guys,
I'm suspecting that I need one or two new catalytic converters. Rattling and general ugly sounds coming from that area. Instead of spending a fortune on new ones (its my winter car so I'm looking for the inexpensive route), would straight pipes be alright? I know that I'd be doing worse for the environment but lets face it, the 4.2 isn't a green producing motor. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim
'02 S6 Avant
If you can't afford cats then sell the car for parts.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If you can't afford cats then sell the car for parts.
Couldn't agree more! Sell it for parts if you can't swing the cats.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ooh, I'll buy the car; I can deal with rattling cats. If you find a muffler shop that's willing to risk their necks, it's your call, but you won't pass emissions either. If you buy some new down pipes, I'd take the old ones off your hands.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

live with rattles?

In an old VW (81 scirocco, callaway turbo, rolled alas), mine began rattling at 90k. No performance issues, just cracked honeycomb. One day some rather spirited driving blew the junk out. No more rattle.

Grant
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimZ
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Tim
'02 S6 Avant
The rattle in my 4.2 A6 eventually stopped, looks like the parts blew out to the muffler. I can't see myself spending $3000 on oem downpipes with cats either, but the car is passing emissions very well so i am not pressed to find a solution.

There are some aftermarket options, but for the 4.2 there is only 1 other manufacturer who makes full performance DPs with high flow cats, i forget the name. It's about $2K. If it's the s6 you're talking about, that's the route i would go. It's a special car deserving special care.

Otherwise get an exhaust shop cut off old ones and weld in new ones.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
The rattle in my 4.2 A6 eventually stopped, looks like the parts blew out to the muffler. I can't see myself spending $3000 on oem downpipes with cats either, but the car is passing emissions very well so i am not pressed to find a solution.

There are some aftermarket options, but for the 4.2 there is only 1 other manufacturer who makes full performance DPs with high flow cats, i forget the name. It's about $2K. If it's the s6 you're talking about, that's the route i would go. It's a special car deserving special care.

Otherwise get an exhaust shop cut off old ones and weld in new ones.
you dont throw a cat efficiency code ? it should ..
Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airbag
you dont throw a cat efficiency code ? it should ..
I do. Spacers going on it to address that.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why the negative sell the car comments?, I agree with the OP, if it's your winter beater your not going to plow 20+% of the value of the car to replace the cats especially if your state doesnt have emissions tests.
Reality for many of us is that we are maintaining them to keep them going and sooner or later a repair bill just isnt economically viable, and its trade in time, outside the RS6 no 4.2 is going to be collectable.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by d6lc
Why the negative sell the car comments?, I agree with the OP, if it's your winter beater your not going to plow 20+% of the value of the car to replace the cats especially if your state doesnt have emissions tests.
Reality for many of us is that we are maintaining them to keep them going and sooner or later a repair bill just isnt economically viable, and its trade in time, outside the RS6 no 4.2 is going to be collectable.
So it's okay to pollute the air we all breathe as long as the state doesn't test for it? And since it's "your winter beater" you can slide by without the cats?

If you can't afford the car get rid of it and get a Honda but don't b.s. me with your justification for ditching the cats. It doesn't wash. Either get the cats or sell the car for parts. Don't try to hang it in someone else's ***.

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattles. Suspect cats. Straight pipe??