A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Factory style integration of a Motorola V60 completed! ( long!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory style integration of a Motorola V60 completed! ( long!)

Well finally, after three months of fighting Verizon and Motorola I finally have my V60 to working properly with Motorola's Executive In Car Kit. It has been an unbelievable experience. The first kit I received was Motorola's Professional car kit.

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=235150&prmenbr=126&accessor ies_cgrfnbr=22&zipcode=&phoneID=&search_string=29, 238320,24,238596,26,27,28,25&type=217953
I was not at all happy with this kit due to the fact it is based on a simplex voice system. What this means it is if you were talking, the person at the other end cannot talk over you. If they try you basically will not be able to hear them. Similar to a one-way street. Motorola claims this kit is for fast talkers. Personally, I think not. When I complained to Motorola about this kit they informed me that they have an executive car kit that is not listed on their website. The executive kit works off a duplex style system which is similar to a home telephone in that even if someone is talking over you, you could still hear what they're saying. Similar to a two-way street. The professional car kit is listed on Motorola's Web site at $174; I ended up paying $259 for the executive car kit which I think is substantially better. It is very strange that this kit is not listed on their website. Therefore, if you are interested in doing this kit I suggest you contact Motorola and see if they can get you one. Again, I stress the fact that there are two kits, one is the professional kit, and the other is called the Executive kit. As far as I can tell the professional car kit will work with any V60 whether or not you or with Verizon or AT&T.
The funny thing about this story is this started out over three months ago, the problem being the Motorola executive car kit would not work with out the proper programming from the Verizon. I have no idea why Motorola would build a car kit that would not work with any v60 phone whether it be Verizon or AT&T. But apparently they do. The Motorola Executive car kit was designed to only work with Verizon and phones at this time, or so I was told. What was happening was if you inserted your phone into the kit the phone would totally freeze up and the only way to reset the phone would be to remove the battery, and then reinstall it, and then power up the phone. After three months of having this kit installed and not working at all, to rise I find out that Verizon has a flash update for my v60. Saturday I went to the Verizon store on the Van Ness Ave in San Francisco and had the Phone flashed with the correct Update from Motorola approved by Verizon. I know this sounds confusing, and it is, or was, or something. But all that matters now is the phone now works in the car kit.
Now on to the install.
I ordered a factory Audi Phone mount for the side of the center consol, but it did not really fit as well as the picture looked in the accessory catalog and it was completely plastic and looked totally out of place. This was returned to the Audi dealer. I end up using a Kuda Phone Base from a company based in Germany. Now this is a nice Phone mount. A formed mount that definitely complement's the A6 interior. It is molded in plastic but wrapped in butter soft leather. Yes I am aware their website leaves something to be desired but the product is fantastic. Apparently, they have a distributor in Texas that carries all the mounts. My mount was $90 shipped to my door. I will take a picture of this and post it when I reconfigure my digital camera to work with my new computer. The website address is as follows:

http://www.kuda-phonebase.de/index2.html

As far as the rest of the integration goes I obviously wanted to integrated into as much of the factory Audi phone system as possible. I used much of the information that is listed on the technical part of Audiworld to do this.
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec12.shtml
I wanted to use a DB25 male connector for all of the Connections that were made. And I did, but certain things would not function. For instance, I could not get the Audi Factory Mic to function properly, so I ended up using the Motorola Mic, which is installed, in the same location, in the headliner as the Audi one. In addition, I could not get any reception through the factory Audi antenna. I ended up using a Terk Internal cellular antenna.

http://www.terk.com/cellular/cellularmain.html

It is installed underneath the rear deck lid. Not only does it work fantastic but all so you cannot see it at all! Next on the list was Factory Audi Speaker. This is located on the driver's door pillar facing the front seat. The biggest problem I had with this was the output from the Motorola Car kit was way to loud for the factory Audi Phone speaker system. Any time you press any button or mounted the phone the volume of the speaker was so loud it would almost make you deaf. The volume control on the Motorola Phone would not help unless you turned the keypad tones all the way off. However, even that would not help the piercing sound it would make when you mount the phone upon entering the vehicle. I needed to install a gain control, which I purchased at Radio Shack. The gain control was then soldered into one of the wires running from the Motorola Car Kit to the Factory Audi Phone harness. This worked absolutely fantastic! Also by using the DB25 Connector, I was able to get the radio to mute upon receiving an incoming call or making an outgoing call.
As far as I know, I could not figure out a way to make and receive phone calls from the steering wheel. I am not even sure if we do get a factory Audi Motorola V60 kit that we will be able to take advantage of this feature. I think this will be a wait and see. But as far as it goes with my kit I am pleased. I really do not have any phone time on this, just a couple tests that I ran today. Give me a week so and I will post again to give everybody an update.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Factory style integration of a Motorola V60 completed! ( long!)

How did you get the executive car kit I was told by the VP of sales for Motorola and the executive kit will not be released for 6 to 8 weeks. What string did you pull please let me know
Old 07-30-2002, 06:16 PM

Default Contact info @ Motorola for the Executive kit?

Do you have any contact information at Motorola for the executive kit? I tried the number on the web site, but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

I'm assuming this kit looks the same as the professional kit, but with full duplex - is that assumption correct?
Old 09-03-2002, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Factory style integration of a Motorola V60 completed! ( long!)

Hi Jay,

I'm looking to put one of the Kuda mounts in my allroad. Which exact model did you order?

Thanks,
Eric.