A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Fatality at Driver Education event this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Report from someone who has driven there, and was planning to attend.

Other obligations meant he couldn't participate. He has nothing but good things to say about the club and how it is run.

"Depending on demonstrated skill level, you may get waved off after day one to go solo. Otherwise, you're stuck with an instructor for the whole weekend until you demonstrate the ability to be on the track (inc. letting others pass, etc.).

The Glen is a fast track with very little run-off space. The drive up the esses to the back straight is quite a rush and if you lift, you WILL end up into the blue Armco. Last time I was there, the head tech inspector (who's
also an instructor) wiped out his modified 964 at the bus stop and totaled it."
Old 08-01-2005, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that is really horible. I've been thinking about a HANS device, but now will think even more.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rennlist says he was on his first solo run after getting a sign-off.

I never understood what was so desireable about a sign-off for solo runs. When is it ever a bad thing to have a smarter, more experienced driver in the passenger seat? It's a macho thing that could really be eliminated, particularly in the lower run groups.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is very sad to hear, I had my first track experience yesterday in Brainerd MN and...

after we got out of the car, I realized what we had done, how fast we were traveling, and was thankful to have lived to talk about it!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 AM

Default This student had been to the track with the club previously

and had been signed off to drive solo after 6 run sessions this event. There was no instructor in the car when the incident happened.

It should not be assumed that an instructor *should* have been in the car, either.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to hear; my prayers for him and family/friends. :(

That fact is that ANY form of driving dangerous, period. Driving events are no exception nor are they MORE dangerous, per say. I'm betting that if you compare the net vehicular collisions with injuries per miles traveled between 'normal' and track driving, the daily commuters would be deemed as having a far greater risk. :/

I've been on the fence a few times about attending a driving event in my old Audi coupe. This doesn't deter me, but it is a reminder that we're all human and very fragile little creatures. When I do get to an event, I just hope that the combination of close observation by instructors and due restraint on my behalf will keep myself and others safe and sound.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of such a loss and I'm sure all of us here on AudiWorld will keep those involved in our thoughts.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very unfortunate.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Default The unfortunate part of motorsports

but then again, some folks die while scuba diving or hang-gliding, or playing football, or even cutting the grass.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My condolences to his family...such a tragedy.

I know from experience at the Glen, that is the scarriest part of the track for me. I enjoyed my experience immensely and have no regrets as I can atest that I feel I am a better driver on the road having participated in track events here and NHIS.

The fact that your club requires 5 pt harnesses for higher run groups is to be applauded. The Audi club I ran with didn't have any such requirements AFAIK.

RIP
Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Sorry to hear - excellent post T.

Quick Reply: Fatality at Driver Education event this weekend.