A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The First 4.2 Speeding Ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The First 4.2 Speeding Ticket...

I just got my first speeding ticket with my 4.2 on Friday night at 1130 on the NJ Garden State Pkway (Near Woodbridge).

Just crusing along with the music jamming and the V1 radar armed. During most of the ride not a blip from the V1 to indicate Troppers in the area.

Just about 15min from home, a unmarked NJ Trooper lights me up. No indication from the V1 that I was hit with radar. The Trooper tells me that he was "pacing" me for the last 5 miles on the Garden State parkway because I was driving "Erratically" and doing 80 in a 55mph. i know that I was doing at least 65-70 but I did'nt think that I hit 80.

I tried to go the Xmas spirit sympathy route but no help. Even worst I had to tell the wife about the ticket and lets just say that the trooper gave me sympathy.

I think that NJ Troopers must be recruting Grinch's during Christmas season.

Stock 4.2
Silver / Royal Blue
Hardwired Valentine V1
Dunlops SP9000 & 17inch Pie Dishes
(Doing Amazingly well in the winter....So far)
Old 12-26-2000, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A couple words of warning--->

I have noticed lately that the NJ state police are using less and less radar to catch speeders. They tend to use the "pacing" method far more. Reason: so manypeople have detectors now, plus, by pacing you, they have the opportunity to size you up more. With radar, they sit on the road, see your speed come up, then they come out and chase you. With pacing, they can follow from a distance, and perhaps write more citations (not signaling lane changes, etc) You must always maintain a proper "scan" of your 6. I tend to drive in the mid 80's in the 65 zones, and any other vehicle that I see behind me I must identify immediately. I make it a habit to check my mirrors every 15-20 seconds. My passengers usually think that I am a very "active" driver, but to be sure that you keep "The Man" off your backside (literally) you must do so.
Also, I've found (through experience) that if you've got your detector up when you are pulled over YOU ARE GETTING A TICKET. No amount of pleading and fast talking will help you. Once those lights come on, you must pull that detector down and stick it under the seat. Just don't make it look like your trying to conceal a weapon. The worst that can happen is the Trooper will see you take it down, and ask you if you have a detector. 9x's out of 10, they won't notice it. I've gotten away in NJ a few times that way. I have also encountered laser in NJ as well, I spend a lot of time on NJ highways, and although I drive rapidly, I don't like to give my money away, so I do all that I can to prevent being stopped.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2000, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Man Speaketh the Truth
Old 12-26-2000, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The Man Speaketh the Truth

Jim,

After this experince your words will be words to live by.

One problem that I have encountered is that during the daylight hours I follow your advice but at night with the Audi's auto dimming mirrors it can be rather challenging to clearly identify who's on your six.
Old 12-26-2000, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: The Man Speaketh the Truth

True, true. That's what makes it a challenge.
Another way I do it: I make a mental note of the cars that I pass, and what their headlights look like. If I see a cars lights in my rearview that I don't recognize (remember that I check every 15-20 seconds) I will reduce speed to bring that car in closer. If the car doesn't continue gaining on me, I have reason to suspect it's a Trooper, and will then set my cruise control to 7 over the limit and wait.
Often times, the Troopers will pace you from a distance of up to 1/2 mile. All they need to do is be able to have an unobstructed view of your vehicle.
Now for the real kicker:
About 5 months ago, I was whipping along in the truck lanes of the NJT. Southbound at about 9 pm on a Saturday night, open road, V1 on, running close to 90.
As I approach the exit 9 interchange, I slow to a more innocent 80. I pass the interchange, and a few vehicles enter. I'm about 1/2 mile past the entrance, and I'm starting to accelerate again, having already checked the car lanes and the shoulders. My car is a sitting duck, Big Black (or at least Black looking in the dark) Audi with tinted windows, gaining momentum in the center lane. Just as I roll past 85 again, I see one of the vehicles (a large SUV) make a rather sharp lane change, which attracts my attention. This SUV goes from the acceleration lane of the merge directly to the left lane. I see this in my mirror and move to the center lane and lower my speed to 75-77 again. I pass another car that is running about 70. This SUV is hanging about 3/4 mile off my back bumper, not gaining nor losing ground. After I pass another car, I get a Ka band warning from the rear on my V1.. Ah HA!!! I smell a big filthy rat!!! One of the cars that I passed decided to take off, and about 5 seconds after he does, I get another Ka warning from the rear, this one lasting about 5 seconds, 4 leds worth, definite bogey. About 15 seconds later, the SUV comes wailing by, just as he passes me, he turns on the "takedown lights". It had the NJ Trooper markings on the doors, but no light bar. An unmarked White Ford Expedition State Police vehicle!! If I hadn't been patient, he'd have nailed me..
Old 12-26-2000, 11:46 PM
uwg

Default Only thing to add... also be careful who are what you pass...

...was driving south on IL-59 today and saw a Streamwood cruiser readying for a u-turn, then saw him turn in my rear-view. The minivan following me didn't see that and passed me going considerably more than the posted 45. He got pulled over... there goes Christmas.

Another time, many years ago, I passed an unmarked WI state trooper going... uhm... fast. That one hurt.

My personal highway driving rules -- drive as far right as possible. Signal EVERY lane change. If you think you've been clocked from the other direction, immediately "blend" into traffic and toggle your fog lights (if on, turn off, if off, turn on) -- that way, chance of recognition is lower. Also, try to use the engine to slow you, not brake (because of lights), and never ever slow to the actual speedlimit, but stay 3-6 mph over it. (the idea is lay low and don't let on that you pay too much attention to cops and/or speed and so imply that you've been going "right around" the limit all along...)

Oh yeah, and never, ever zoom by a cop. Pass them as long as you don't have to go more than three over the limit (again, this signals confidence): I usually set my cruise on 43ish in a forty zone if a police car is around... slowly creeping by them -- never once got pulled over for that.