A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Flashed Red coolant for a few seconds, question about filling coolant back up. Is it a DIY or....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashed Red coolant for a few seconds, question about filling coolant back up. Is it a DIY or....

I must admit, I have never had to put coolant in a vehicle. I see that our cars take Audi VW G12 Fluid, and the flashing Coolant light means LOW or Overheating.

What exactly is the best way to refil the vehicle with coolant?

Should I just take it to the dealer?

my tank is frosted, so its hard to see if its at the min level. But If I open up the seal, I see NOTHING.. bone dry... after its warm, there is some fluid..

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, this is DIY

Wait for the engine to cool a bit, slowly open the cap on the coolant bottle, pour in your coolant to the MAX mark (don't fill all the way, the coolant needs some expansion room), close it and be done.

If you're low, you're losing coolant somewhere. Look around the bottle for white chalky residue, that'll be dried coolant.

Many folks, myself included, have had to swap out the bottle and/or the cap to remedy the coolant leak. It's a cheap repair whether you DIY or leave it to your mechanic.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default poor the fluid into the coolant tank immediately.

I'd reccomend purchasing the appropriate coolant for your car, it may be pink or purple. It is not good to drive the car with the coolant level extremely low, you could damage the motor. Perhaps a coolant flush would be a good solution
Old 07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had coolant flushes also point out big fitting problems...

ones that were big enough that if they had happened in the summer, on the road, I would be buying myself a new engine.

I also seem to remember some early 4.2's also having coolant leak issues where they had faulty lines that were semi-porous or sometihng to that extent, fill and watch it closely at the minimum. if you can afford to, have it checked for leaks.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Add a 50-50 mix of the correct coolant and

clean water (mineral free) and watch for additional leaks or loss of coolant over the next few days. If you need to add anymore your going to need to presure test the system. Not a big deal but I bet you don't have the tool. Most shop's tend to charge less than an hour to test the system.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks guys, and a follow up.. Should I be able to purchase the g12 from the dealer?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any VW or Audi dealer will have G12

VW dealer just might charge you less too (maybe)...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How many miles on the car? Keep an eye on that level..

Coolant's not supposed to leak. This could be "harmless" like a cracked expansion bottle or pipe. Or could be a warning for the water pump.. ever have the timing belt/water pump job done? Should be taken care of around 80k miles.

Or as in my case (previous car) it could be the electric auxiliary water pump that seems to be programmed to go leaky around 100k miles and lives right down in the middle of the V of your V6. Now THAT's a DIY job for a man. Or an eejit such as meself.

Better grab your best flashlight, take all the cosmetic covers off under the hood, and diagnose that bad boy. Pink chalky stuff is the teller of the tale. If can't find, might-orta take off the belly pan and look for clues -- it's likely caked with residue also.

This is unlikely to be self-healing, so get it seen to before anything bad happens. Meanwhile, get a gallon can and fill it with 50/50 G12 and distilled water and keep it in the trunk. Check the level every day (or more if it's really losing it) and keep topped up. Do NOT use the filling station blue stuff, or if you have to, add a coolant flush ASAP to your to-do list, or your mechanic's. Don't leave non-G12 in there.

Rehydrate!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went looking for G12 on a Saturday...

Audi dealer parts shop closed, all say no coolant till Monday. Any of em think of suggesting VW dealer round the corner? Unlikely. Tootled on over there. Service with a grin. Wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper as well.

Buy it from the VW fellas!
Old 12-21-2020, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

it must be less than 50mls to go from the bottom of the float to the top???

Quick Reply: Flashed Red coolant for a few seconds, question about filling coolant back up. Is it a DIY or....