A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

FlexFuel E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FlexFuel E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit

Has anyone done their own flexfuel ethanol conversion kit? I was looking into this particular one:

https://www.change2e85.com/E85-conve...erter-6VAB-EV1

I've heard conflicting opinions all over the internet regarding these conversions. Proponents from opposing sides, mainly the oil and epa supporters, have their pros and cons posted everywhere. It gets confusing after a while.

If a country such as Brazil can become "oil-free" by switching to biofuels, why can't the US do the same? Our addiction to oil has brought us nothing but problems ranging from pollution to wars. I just wanna try to do my part by lessening my own oil dependency without completely screwing up my car in the process.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by tartar
Has anyone done their own flexfuel ethanol conversion kit? I was looking into this particular one:

https://www.change2e85.com/E85-conve...erter-6VAB-EV1
Politics not welcome here.

As for the conversion, why don't you do it and report back? I for one like the way my car runs now.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trade-off's

One fact about the fuels we burn is the specific heat content that is not mentioned, combustion fuel is more efficient when less gives more energy, less waste and less co2. This is why low sulfur diesel is really the king of the fuels with lower rpm's for power.

Studies have shown that the E85 advantage is only in the price of the fuel not it's environmental impact, because E85 has a lower specific heat content per unit the waste gas emits a higher volume of co2 vs. gasoline and that's with engines designed to run on flex fuels.

Do keep in mind that E85 fuel will majorly effect the oil in your engine to a degree of a guaranteed 3k oil change totally blowing out the theory about a cost savings with 6qts of oil, do a little more research on this topic.

I'm being as factual as I can based on what I know, some may know more.

Last edited by jcman; 05-15-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alcohol can swell and deteriorate natural rubber and some synthetic plastic and rubber seals and parts.

Also, alcohol can carry significant water which can cause rusting and/or pitting of internal metal parts, if the material is not specifically selected to prevent such possibility.

No to bring in politics, but bio-fuels are ONLY more economical than fossil fuels when subsidized (falsely economic)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
One fact about the fuels we burn is the specific heat content that is not mentioned, combustion fuel is more efficient when less gives more energy, less waste and less co2. This is why low sulfur diesel is really the king of the fuels with lower rpm's for power.

Studies have shown that the E85 advantage is only in the price of the fuel not it's environmental impact, because E85 has a lower specific heat content per unit the waste gas emits a higher volume of co2 vs. gasoline and that's with engines designed to run on flex fuels.

Do keep in mind that E85 fuel will majorly effect the oil in your engine to a degree of a guaranteed 3k oil change totally blowing out the theory about a cost savings with 6qts of oil, do a little more research on this topic.

I'm being as factual as I can based on what I know, some may know more.
I appreciate your input. I wasn't aware of its effects on the oil nor its higher CO2 emmision. I'll research more before diving into this.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Alcohol can swell and deteriorate natural rubber and some synthetic plastic and rubber seals and parts.

Also, alcohol can carry significant water which can cause rusting and/or pitting of internal metal parts, if the material is not specifically selected to prevent such possibility.

No to bring in politics, but bio-fuels are ONLY more economical than fossil fuels when subsidized (falsely economic)
It's almost impossible not to sound political when talking about other alternative fuels. We're fortunate that we live in a democratic society that enables us to "choose" how we live our lives. We can be ultimate petrol heads or green as Kermit when choosing the fuel that runs our cars.

I don't mean to sound off as a disgruntled combustion fuel user either. My car has run great on it all these years, but I also want to make sure that I don't unnecessarily contribute to CO2 emissions when there exist viable alternative fuels. Since my commute to work is under 20 miles back and forth, I've also been looking at electric cars. My A6 has been my constant companion and will continue on until I eventually hand it down to one of my kids.

Either way, I've also read articles on the same issues that you've mentioned above and I'm wary about the mounting costs for such a conversion. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would certainly NOT start with an Audi to do a conversion like this.
The car is too sophisticated and has way too many computer controlled (and somewhat finicky) FI/emissions parts and systems.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

I would certainly NOT start with an Audi to do a conversion like this.
The car is too sophisticated and has way too many computer controlled (and somewhat finicky) FI/emissions parts and systems.
If you think that VAG cars are a little too quick to turn on the CEL, just add a fuel that it was not designed for... LOL
Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tartar
I appreciate your input. I wasn't aware of its effects on the oil nor its higher CO2 emmision. I'll research more before diving into this.
Hey no problem, I'd just be careful when considering a mod like this by not only what has been already mentioned but the other areas of variable valve timing and fuel trim that the pre-o2 sensors may not recognize correctly even with a interface module.

My self I have looked into hydroxy generators kits with the same dismal "not worth it" findings not only in the amount of energy to generate the gas but the control issues, I've learned a long time ago to face it and agree that oil will be here to use for a long time and that oil is a natural earth substance and we have come a long way into be more friendly with our fuels and use more drastically over the past twenty years.

Last edited by jcman; 05-15-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

These are also good points of concern with alcohol fuels N_Jay.

I'll agree to a certain point with bio-fuel as I strongly feel that corn, beats or whatever is best used for food and is subject to seasonal crop yields that can be very unpredictable.....not a good mix then there's the GMO thing.

Oil is already there under pressure and expands as it's drawn, I believe I've read that some studies suggest that as it's removed from certain regions it regenerates fossil matter into crude oil, there's a whole lot of old real estate down below.

Quick Reply: FlexFuel E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit