A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Flushing brake system, bleeding master cylinder and ABS pump (w/ ESP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flushing brake system, bleeding master cylinder and ABS pump (w/ ESP)

When I disassembled my right rear caliper I lost a lot of fluid and I think air got into the master from the top. After a lot of bleeding with a pressure bleeder and by hand, but I've still got a spongy pedal. I'm aware of how to use VAG COM basic settings to bleed the ABS pump, but I'm not aware of any special procedures for the ESP, and I don't know how to bleed the master cylinder. Could anybody make/find me a brief writeup on the job?

Last edited by Redneck Truck; 01-01-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
When I disassembled my right rear caliper I lost a lot of fluid and I think air got into the master from the top. After a lot of bleeding with a pressure bleeder and by hand, but I've still got a spongy pedal. I'm aware of how to use VAG COM basic settings to bleed the ABS pump, but I'm not aware of any special procedures for the ESP, and I don't know how to bleed the master cylinder. Could anybody make/find me a brief writeup on the job?
Did you bleed all the wheel cylinders or only the one that you disassembled?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I pressure bled all four corners. My friend the tech also operated the abs pump in basic settings, but I don't think he went through the whole procedure, as I did it on my Golf last night and don't remember seeing him do some of the things.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive bleed the brakes properly without operating the abs pump. Ive read its just to flush out the old fluid (ie if you didnt drain the whole system).

I think you need to bleed more.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the abs pump is also the ESP pump - so its the same. Its very hard to get air into the ABS system, btu if you do, its also hard to get it out. According to Audi, you need over 27 psi (working from memory) - which i NEVER use.

Bleeding the master occurs automatically when you pressure bleed the wheels.

Now, a i recall you have a 6-speed. Did you also bleed the clutch?

G
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, hen i ran the master dry ( don't ask and i won't tell) i had to use a combo method - manual bleeding with pressure simultaneously applied.

It took many, many passes to get the deep-down air out. And about 2 liters of fluid. Live and learn. Always have a full pressure bleeder tank!

G
Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Clutch is fine. Reservoir was bone dry though so enough of the system was drained that it all needed bled. Additionally, I've heard it's a good idea to replace old fluid, to include the stuff in the abs. Anybody know the procedure?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, procedure is in bentley. Normal pressure bleed procedure, except that you activate the abs pump with vag com for 10 seconds.

I don't know the code or sequence.

G
Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

i just went through all this recently . had you r exact symptom , ran the system dry.. had a spongy pedal for a while after bleeeding teice .. after I went out on an icy day and let the abs do her thing the pedal is fine now .. i guess if it runs dry you can trap an air pocket .. on my second bleed a did get aditional small bubbles .. next time i will do the initial bleed with chaeap brake fluid and save my superblue for the last bleed .. lesson learned ..
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

snow day = God's vag-com?

Quick Reply: Flushing brake system, bleeding master cylinder and ABS pump (w/ ESP)