A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Fob Busted, battery changed, fob reassociated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob Busted, battery changed, fob reassociated?

I used my key fob to unlock my car, but then discovered it wouldnt lock the car. So I pulled out the spare, tested the car, and it works. I changed the battery on the busted fob and tested the batteries on the new battery and old battery. The new battery is a different number, off my 2 digits but its the same shape and size. The old battery tested to 3.07 volts and the new battery was 3.7 volts. Both had 3v printed on the battery face. The batteries seemed fine. I reassigned the fob with the following proceedure that have worked well for me in the past when batteries have gone out:

Insert good key and fob into ignition turn one position.
Roll down window
Inset bad key and fob into door and manually lock door
Using bad key fob, push unlock and lock a few times on the fob

Car lights and alarm is supposed to arm, but with my bad fob it doesnt arm or flash lights. Good fob continues to work fine though. Are my proceedures off, I have them written down and I have used them several times. The only damn thing I did was go out to the car after doing research on my ESP, unlock the car, reassure myself that I have an ESP on/off, pressed the ESP button twice as if that did a damn thing with the car off, and then exited the vehicle and attempted to lock/arm the car using the same fob.

**** these things are like 80 bucks arent they? Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If I buy a third key blanc now, is there anywhere I can have the key..

cut for a cheap price? Maybe I can send it off somewhere with my second key and a blank before I lose a key and dont have this option. Who cuts auto laser keys other then the audi dealer? My guess is the audi shop wants 100 bucks to cut me a new key even if I take them a spare and bring my own fob.

I found a guy on ebay selling fobs for 10 bucks which will fit my car. So I will buy one from him to replace my broken fob, but now I am worried about losing the key too. lol
Old 06-13-2008, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No need to swear, this is not the AWOT. I suspect the button for locking on the remote....

is at fault.

It may be worth trying to see if you can take it apart and clean up the switch contacts - it will probably be a pad which presses against a gold contact area on the board. Clean gently with soft tissue and something like isopropyl alchohol.

If the fob will unlock the car from a reasonable distance then it should also lock it so I think it is associated to the car properly.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In addition to this good advice, if the problems persist, you could also swap the 'key' part from

your existing fob to your new one. There's a link to that somewhere here - check Stoney's.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 AM

use the proper battery with the right numbers
Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Fear the Miata!

good advice all the way around