A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

found these in my coolant reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found these in my coolant reservoir

So I was going to replace my coolant temp sensor because I have having similar issues as discussed in this thread.. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1693546)

when i opened the coolant reservoir, in hopes to relieve some of the pressure, i peeked in and saw these three items sitting in it! I used a wire hanger to fish em out but there is still one smaller spring in there. I do not normally work on my own car but i wanted to try to do this job and I am really surprised these were in there.

the problem i am having is that my 2000 a6 wont start after it has been running for over 5 minutes and is still warm. it has to cool down all the way to the under the first notch on the temp gauge in order to be able to start it again. i hoped that replacing the ECT that i would fix the problem but now I dont know what kind of other stuff might be in the coolant line!

anyone ever seen anything like this before?! any advice would be greatly appreciated for now i do not know what to do.. thanks in advance from a mechanical novice!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lukapalooza

So I was going to replace my coolant temp sensor because I have having similar issues as discussed in this thread.. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1693546)

when i opened the coolant reservoir, in hopes to relieve some of the pressure, i peeked in and saw these three items sitting in it! I used a wire hanger to fish em out but there is still one smaller spring in there. I do not normally work on my own car but i wanted to try to do this job and I am really surprised these were in there.

the problem i am having is that my 2000 a6 wont start after it has been running for over 5 minutes and is still warm. it has to cool down all the way to the under the first notch on the temp gauge in order to be able to start it again. i hoped that replacing the ECT that i would fix the problem but now I dont know what kind of other stuff might be in the coolant line!

anyone ever seen anything like this before?! any advice would be greatly appreciated for now i do not know what to do.. thanks in advance from a mechanical novice!
Those parts are definitely not from the cooling system. Just keep them and or chuck em in the garbage. Did someone working on your engine, as the large washer looks like a valve spring retainer and the black plastic cap looks like a cap that sits over a 13mm nut (usually at the back of alternator main wire to insulate the stud so nothing shorts against it). The spring I have not clue where that's from.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An attempt at sabotage?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Someone install the wrong cap?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The cap seems like it is the correct one. I will take a photo when I get home. My question for you guys is what should I do now? I know there is at least one other small spring in the reservoir and no telling if something is stuck in the line somewhere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Lukapalooza
The cap seems like it is the correct one.
Well, it is *now*, but what about earlier? How long have you owned the car?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

The obvious answer is to get the parts out that you can. Worst case is disconnect the connector on the bottom of the expansion tank and remove the hose going to the tank and dump the parts out.

I wouldn't worry about any other parts that could get through the very small orifice.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Well, it is *now*, but what about earlier? How long have you owned the car?
The car has been in my family since 2002. I had a mechanic that I exclusively used but I moved and have used several different shops since.. So unfortunately I do not know who the culprit is.

I got out what I could, I think the only thing still in there is a small, half inch long, half centimeter diameter spring. I think that it could fit in any tubing that leads into the reservoir.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

couldn't those be parts of the T-stat? i know it has a spring and also the wide piece of metal, so....just an idea...
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by mik15
couldn't those be parts of the T-stat? i know it has a spring and also the wide piece of metal, so....just an idea...
I agree that those definitely look like t-stat parts. They are, however, too large to travel by hose to get to the reservoir. Perhaps someone dropped them in?

Quick Reply: found these in my coolant reservoir