A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A friend chose Jaguar Type S R over A6 4.2 for only $61,000.00 out the door price!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A friend chose Jaguar Type S R over A6 4.2 for only $61,000.00 out the door price!!!

A close friend of mine has been drooling over my A6 ever since I bought mine last year. He was driving a 1996 E320 and has been wanting to go for the 2.7t or the 4.2 since last year. He was not happy I bought the 2.7 first so he decided to better me by buying a 4.2. He loves the look and sound of V8 but has only one concern that I had brought to his attention; model being replaced soon and judging by recent styling it's just going to be more modern and beautiful and more refined and powerful. However, it's still his number 1 choice.

So we went down to dealer I bought my car from in Orange county, CA. Total MSRP with all the option he watned including navi, sport, premium, etc would be more than $53,000. After about $3000 off on a brief negociation I told my friend to pretend to wanting to go to visit other dealers unless the rep is willing go down more. With no progress we walked out and plan to drive to the closest Audi dealer. I recommanded we also give the new E class a try so we drove down to the auto mall where they sell other brands as well. We were frustrated by the sales rep that insisted the car is so hot that price negociation is not likely and there is waiting list for more desired specs (what a bull, another friend got one with $1800 off). So a similarily optioned E320 would actually be more expensive than a A6 4.2???? No way... we said.
Frustrated we passed by next door, A Jaguar dealer, and noticed there are six dark color
Type S R in the lot. That reminded me of the big discount there were offering at Carsdirect.com and decided to check out the car. The sales reps immediately approached us and was very polite; right away express they are having specials on these supercharged and no offers is too rediculous. We always thought the supercharged is out of the price range and is a direct competitor to RS6, E55. Little do we know after we jokingly offered a ridiculous $9000 off they came back with a $61,000 out of the door price with only available option of Navigation system and $59,000 without. That's only 5k more than what he would have paid for a fully loaded A6 4.2. Guess what??? After a 10min test drive we were both sold(not that I am the one buying but I would rather have this than the A6 4.2 in the first place and to find them in such a bargain is unbelievable.) We only had to deal with the sales rep for 25 min that included the test drive. The sales rep even helped us make a call to Audi dealer see if they would lower their offer. Guess what, they agree to take off an additional $1500 hahaha..... But It was all too late. Great sales rep and a great car for just 4k more is a bargain no one could resist. He even got a 2.9 finance for 5 year for the extra $10,000 he didn't have.

Never in our wild imagination would we think he end up with a Jag but he did. On the way home he let switched car for 10 mins because he felt bad I had to wait 2 hrs for the paperworks.

My driving impression you ask? The car is very refined, softer than the S6 we test drove yet the grip is pretty high and way more powerful. I have never sat in a vehicle that has this level of grip with a ride this civilized. It is quieter than the S6 and the 4.2. There is a hint of supercharged whistle sound but gone as soon as windows are closed. The engine/exhaust didn't sound as aggressive as one might expect. I promised to keep rpm under 4000 and did so I couldn't fully experience the car but was very pleased with the comfy and elegant if somewhat cozy interior. The more intimate interior acutally adds more sporty flavor and closeness to the car. The leather is soft and rich and found the J shaped transmission interesting. The navigation system had huge screen screen and the exterior is both elegant, sporty, and aggressive at the same time. Wow what a car for the money. I have never driven a RS6 and doubt the Type S is as good of a sport sedan but if you compare it with A6 4.2 or E500, or 540i all of sudden it is a lot more subtantial and presents great value. When it's time to switch back I told him Now I am jealous and he just smiled and thank me to convince him to walk into a Jag dealer. Damn, too bad I can't afford the RS6 and just have to suck it up everytime I see him and let him have the bragging right.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did he drive it? I almost bought one until I drove it and found the transmission locks you out of

the power band worst than any Tip issues posted here. It will not let you stay in gear much past 5K on the tach. Seriously. Just $.02.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is that with tax and everything???

If so, that is a good price...where is this place, maybe I should get one!
Only one problem will be resale...but he can worry about that after he has a blast flying around in a mighty rare vehicle!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:41 PM

Default Good for him

People should only buy the car they want the most. That would cut internet forum traffic by at least half

And have you considered why there were so many cars on the lot, why they were so helpful, and why they caved so quickly on price?

WTF, your friend sounds like someone who is always looking for their next car anyway, so enjoy it while he's got it.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:44 PM

Default So you would buy

a Jag for $61 instead of an Audi for $50?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw one today. Nice looking car.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Never driven one of those, but my friend recently picked up..

an XK8. Despite a decent interior, that thing drives like an absolute POS. The engine is not responsive and the suspension is softer than your mother's ***. The R type always seems to come in last when compared to BMW M5, MB E55 and Audi RS6. I know Jag has improved alot over the years, but I'm still not convinced they build those cars with the performance oriented person in mind.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe...if that is what I was looking for...but I'm poor so...

I'll probably get a Corolla or something...

But if that includes tax and everything it is ~$4-5k above a similarly equipped (loaded) A6 4.2 (sticker $56k...sale price $53k...with tax, $56-57k)...it all depends on priorities...power and Brembos gives the edge to Jaguar, but the interior of the Audi would win for most...could be a tough call really...

I'd rather have a new A8 though for a few thousand (ok, 10) more...
Old 05-13-2003, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True...when they deal quickly, you know why...but...

it's still not a bad deal...the exclusivity is a nice bonus to the sweet brakes and 390 horsepower.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like a very good deal on a very nice car. It would be a fun car to own/lease.

Quick Reply: A friend chose Jaguar Type S R over A6 4.2 for only $61,000.00 out the door price!!!