A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

front end vibrations/harsh ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end vibrations/harsh ride

so for a while ive been having a lot of shimmying, clunking and vibrations at various speeeds. seems worst when i first start driving at low speeds, and at any speed above 75mph. ive also noticed that the ride quality seems unusually rough, like coilovers with no dampening adjustment rough.

if there are any suggestions to narrow down what it might be im all ears.

so far im thinking, engine (and transmission) mounts, front axles (outer cv joints, the one on the right clicks the left clunks lol). and maybe wheel balance.

im also thinking about a wheel bearing issues as i get a faint howling at freeway speeds from the front right. could i swap the front right with the front left to see if the sound moves with the bearing?

last but not least, will this shimmying, clunking and vibrations cause any further damage to other components or is it more of a ride quality issue only?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could i swap the front right with the front left to see if the sound moves with the bearing?
You could... but do you know how much work is involved? Leave it until it's apparent. You'll know. Another way to test is whether the sound increases if you turn left/right at highway speeds.

Did you check your control arms for play? Check bushings on the sway bar for wear (clunks)?

Raise the car and get it all checked.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Where to start?

First, yes, continuous vibrations (out of balance wheels, etc) accelerate wear on suspension components. Not overnight, but its wear, of course.

Now, where to start. Unfortunately you need to eliminate things one by one. Did this start suddenly? If so what happened in the interim?

I'd begin with balance. I'd also begin by spinning the front wheels and looking for any run-out - wheel or tire -- lateral or radial.

The harsh ride seems unrelated. Have you checked that your dampers are functioning properly?

Finally, Cvs should not make noise. Do you feel it throught he pedals/floorboards? Worse when turning?

you may have multiple problems. What has been replaced? How many miles?

I'd begin with wheels/tires. I'd check dampers next (bounce it at minimum). jack up and rock wheels at 10/4; 9/3 and feel for play (not the rack moving, actual play). Is a CV boot torn? They rarely go except when grease goes out and dirt in. Not impossible, but rare.

Say more.

G
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oh yea, i forgot about the WB.

It will begin as a drone and a roughness through the steering. As if things are not smooth. Mostly because they are not :-)

The drone will get worse, and will get louder if you turn the opposite direction from the offending bearing, loading it. It will liekly be silent unloaded (e.g.: on a lift).

G
Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Just Me

Now, where to start. Unfortunately you need to eliminate things one by one. Did this start suddenly? If so what happened in the interim?
not suddenly but gradually over the last several months to a year, the single source of all this was a cv joint i repacked with grease and replaced a torn boot on

The harsh ride seems unrelated. Have you checked that your dampers are functioning properly?
How would i go about checking the dampeners?

Finally, Cvs should not make noise. Do you feel it throught he pedals/floorboards? Worse when turning?
Yes i can feel vibration in the pedals/floor, the boots are torn on the inner and outer cv on the driver side and i fixed the outer passenger side last year

you may have multiple problems. What has been replaced? How many miles?
The only thing that has been replaced are the tires (about 5-6k ago, rotated about 1k ago) and the outer cv joint boot and grease repack a year ago
I'd begin with wheels/tires. I'd check dampers next (bounce it at minimum). jack up and rock wheels at 10/4; 9/3 and feel for play (not the rack moving, actual play). Is a CV boot torn? They rarely go except when grease goes out and dirt in. Not impossible, but rare.
So i think ill take it in for a wheel balance, although the front wheels are COVERED with grease (im assuming its form the cv joints :/). ive checked the front wheels for play and the suspension feels very solid no play in the wheel at all. there is signs of aging but nothing worse then superficial.

the absolute last thing i can think about is when i was working on the cv joint/axle i was loosening something or moving something and i heard a loud pop from what i thought was the steering rack arm, but ive had no steering problems so that may be coincidental
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oh yea, i forgot about the WB.

It will begin as a drone and a roughness through the steering. As if things are not smooth. Mostly because they are not :-)

The drone will get worse, and will get louder if you turn the opposite direction from the offending bearing, loading it. It will liekly be silent unloaded (e.g.: on a lift).

G
is this a higher pitched drone or a drone like an exhaust system? all i know is it goes away when i lift off the gas at high way speeds and goes away completely under 50 mph regardless of how i drive it.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me know how it goes I have similar issues...... When turning I get vibrations ...also I get vibrations in my feet and floor at all speeds ..but seems to come and go ( not consistent ) somedays seem worse ..
Old 08-10-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

double check that the CV is good, that it is seated properly. I can even imaging an aftermarket part being slightly off dimension - they must be tight (no play) yet move very freely. Like, well, nevermind.

But tires/wheels are so notorious i nver ignore them. but you keep coming back to the CV, so it may be time to dis-assemble and investigate. Plus if there is grease, something broke again.....

God luck, off to a full day of coilover install

G
Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In feet and floor; come and go indicates a couple of possibilities:

1. small imbalance or loose bearing in driveshaft (propshaft)
2. possible REAR wheel vibration for any of the million possible reasons (balance, tire OOR, wheel OOR, ..)

G
Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

OK, after reading the answers and replies, all I can say is this car is badly treated and poorly maintained. Whether money or time is an issue, first thing to do is fix all the obvious issues such as torn cv boots and/or the axles that may be ruined. Perhaps after that some reason may be attained. Otherwise it's just bench racing.

Quick Reply: front end vibrations/harsh ride