A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Frustrated with Audi dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with Audi dealer service

I dropped off my 2001 A6 2.7T with 50K miles at the dealer at the beginning of the week.

It's the fourth time I've brought the car in for a problem with false alarms. The car alarm simply goes off on it's on, sitting in the parking lot. It happens almost daily and often several times a day (particularly on sunny days). There is nothing in the car moving, no open window, it happens with the internal motion sensor on or off. The fact that it happens on sunny days leads me to think it might be moisture related (something drying after getting wet).

The problem began while the vehicle was under warranty, and has continued on to today. Each time I take it in, the dealer alleges they found some bad part (based on error codes) and charges me to replace it. Last time it was a $300 trunk latch that was otherwise working perfectly. But of course, none of the repairs make the problem stop.

I've left the car at the dealer for 5 days this time, and they still claim they can't find the cause, and don't have any further thoughts on how to trouble shoot the problem. But they want to charge me for all the labor to look for the problem. They claim that it would help if they could make the problem happen at the dealer so they could look for an error code. Since the problem happens almost every day at my office, can I buy VAG-COM and get the proper error codes myself?

Does anyone have any idea about what I should do? I'm fed up with he dealer and want to find an indy repair shop, but it seems for an electrical problem like this, that might not be the way to go.

On top of this maddening problem, I spent $1340 to replace my upper links and tie rods last month, and will now have to pay $800 to have a leaking secondary coolant pump replaced.

I had hoped to keep the car until around 100K miles, but it's starting to feel like it's not affordable to own out of warranty. Am I wrong?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they could use their VAG tool to drop the sensitivity in the alarm.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 AM

Default I feel your pain.....

It IS frustrating. There is a diff. between "Maintenance" repairs and just poor -unreliability. The come back I'm sure will be 'hey, if you can't afford to maintain it, then go buy a (insert Japanese name here).' I too am dissappointed in the large # of little but expensive 'fixes' (not maintenance) that my car requires, I have a 2000 2.7T, almost 100K. In another 100K, I plan on getting rid of it and probably not buying another....but when it runs well...it runs sooooooo well!!!!

The VAG-COM is a worthy purchase for $250. At least it makes me think I feel better about it.....I use it to reset my CEL for my bad CAT's (crapped at 83K, 3K after federal warranty period) every couple weeks......
Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you work near an airport? I've seen very load aircraft set off car alarms frequently. If that is

not it, do you use the little button in your B pillar to decrease the sensitivity of the alarm?

Also, as JustJeff suggested, the dealer can decrease the alarm sensitivity using their VAG tool. Converversely, if you have a Vag-Com or can find someone with one, they could do the same.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default May be a break in the wiring - your comment about sunny days is consistent

with an issue that I had with my car starting. When I mentioned to the dealer that typically it would start in the am, but not during the day when warmer, they determined that it was most likely a break somewhere in the wiring harness which caused an open cicuit when the lines warmed up. No issues since replacement (2 yrs).
Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM

Default IMHO, there should be a warranty on the original repair.

In other words, they can't keep charging you to fix something they were already supposed to fix.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you documented it within warranty, and they didnt fix it,.....

make them, on thier dime.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Sadly, for this kind of fault,

the dealers approach of throwing parts at it is both expensive and ineffective.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Similar problem here.

oddly, my alarm goes off more on cold days. I had it in the shop for three days and they never had a problem---thus my problem is non-existant, right?

What's more, I had people at work and neighbors mention it to me. My neighbor has a Golf, and he always checks to make sure it's not his car when it goes off. I'm sure it's annoying.

I think it is one of my rear hatch sensors (Avant here). The less I use the back, the fewer times it goes off. I had wondered if when the temperature dropped then the metal shrank ever so slightly and left the sensor unintact.

I'm pretty much grasping at straws, but like you---I'm frustrated. I'd settle with locking and not alarming, but that is not possible either.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Audi dealer service