A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Fuel level Sending units: Class action lawsuit..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8,000 mile service today . Dealer put in a new sender

I never had a problem with the old one. He also put in a new NAV system under waranty . No problems whatsoever about a loaner car. Car was detailed and filled with gas upon delivery. This is a great car and so far I have no complaints about routine or waranty service.
Old 05-04-2001, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel level Sending units: Class action lawsuit..

I received that notice in the mail today. Didn't really read much of it. My 2000 2.7T was not included in the recalled group either, but I did have to have the fuel level sending unit replaced about 2 months ago when my fuel gauge went totally haywire. It was replaced under warranty, but technically not under the recall.
Old 05-05-2001, 06:57 AM
map
AudiWorld Member

Anybody understand what the lawyers did to earn their $600,000?
Old 05-05-2001, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Class actions are legal pyramid schemes which really do nothing to address the problem(s). . .

The attorneys first in the game and the initial plaintiff will be the only people who recover significant damages. That really is what this is all about. The money. They could not give a rats *** whether or not the problem is resolved.

It will translate into higher invoice prices for the entire Audi line-up over time. In addition, the remaining portion of the "class" will receive what equates to a free car wash or oil change. Is that really the solution to the problem. Not in my opinion.

The guy who initially sought representation was some loser who was looking for easy $$$$. He friggin ran out of gas because he is a "victim" and cannot think for himself. He is peeved that the fuel gauge in this $50K car is not always accurate. I would like to introduce him to the world of aviation. You can have a $20 million aircraft with all kinds of neat technology that will do virtually any function a human can do.

However, the pilots of these aircraft (including the airliners we all fly) never, NEVER, leave the ground without completing a fuel calculation to determine how far, how long, and how much fuel is needed and will be used. This is done even though they have a $30,000 fuel measuring system that will tell them the same information. Why, because they use their brains to cross check the equipment.

This is a tangental analogy but it makes my point. You need to use your noggin in all aspects of moving machinery. My car has been a QA nightmare but I never thought of suing Audi as a result. I use my noggin to get to the bottom of the problems and then attempt to get my dealer to fix them. I asked a question a few days ago about my airbag not deploying in a collision that was significant in my view. I asked so that I could get a better understanding of how the system works in different conditions.

My question had nothing to do with legal b.s.. It has to do with my curiousity about whether different airbag systems work differently. I can use this information when shopping for cars in the future.

In regard to my A6's many ailments, any legal issues I would have would be between me, my dealer, and subsequently Audi. This ensures that any issues I have are addressed and monetary gain is not the foundation for any legal action. Resolving my issues is my primary concern.

My fuel senders have not worked since March of 2000. My radio has been a home for wandering gremlins since February 2000. I have been on the mysterious and OZ like waiting list since March 2000 for both items. I still have not interest in a class action lawsuit that does nothing to address my issues.

I understand the frustration on the part of the owners who are the type that will run out of fuel if they are not told to get fuel. Sitting on the side of the road at that moment would prove to be quite irritating. However, the class action will not prevent them from ending up on the side of the road.

My automotive ownership history has been diverse and includes many new and used vehicles. I have also shared ownership of many different aircraft over the last decade. In each case, the particular vehicle and it's manufacturer have had their specific and expected mechanical/design failings.

Some vehicles I owned were virtually trouble free and were incredibly thorough designs. Others,including some expensive models, were maintenance queens. All of them had individual traits that made them fun to drive. I am not as much of an automotive purist as many of the people here. My views can be watered down as a result. My cars are simply my conveyance of the moment. I expect them to get me from point a to point b with a little fun thrown in somewhere.

I don't expect them to think for me or operate flawlessly. I have a reasonable expectation for them to be operational. Thats why I have been so incredibly patient and flexible with my dealer(some here would criticize my acceptance of the problems) in trying to correct the problems.

It took literally one year plus for me to lose my patience with the dealer. I never entertained, even briefly, any type of a class action for the problems that would qualify as such.

All of this rambling to say that this particular class action (like most) will do "absolutely nothing" to correct the fuel sender problem.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Bri
Old 05-05-2001, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

The lawyers get rich while you get $10 and reduced resale.
Old 05-05-2001, 01:12 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Huzzah! You make a lot of sense.
Old 05-05-2001, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A breath of reality. Believe me, it sucks as a salesperson to be told the sender unit problem has

been fixed, and then have your client run out of gas because you didn't think you needed to warn them. I just gave up after a time and warned everyone to watch the gauge and odometer.