A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Fuse problem - power windows/sunroof/interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse problem - power windows/sunroof/interior lights

I got a problem with short circuit somewhere in the power windows/sunroof/interior light/alarm circuit.

The background: I drove to work with window down and roof tilted. Raised the window (which by the way has been extremely slow at times), got out and locked the car. Then I realized I forgot the roof so I used the remote to close it, no problem. When I got back in the car a few hours later, the windows just wouldn't go down so I checked the fuse and it was blown. Threw in a new one but there were a few sparks and this one also blowed.

I don't expect anyone to locate the exact problem based on this description but I'd appreciate any ideas of where to start searching. Unfortunately I don't have VAG-Com or similar. Are there any realys or that kind of stuff to start with before tearing down the car?

I already disconnected the sunroof switch but the problem remained. Also checked the area where the wiring goes into the door and no damage there as far as I can see. Next step would be to disconnect the driving unit for the sunroof or take off the door panel, if no one here has other suggestions. I was thinking if the motor for the window gave up or if some wires have been cut by the window mechanism.
On the other had the roof was the last thing I used so maybe it's more likely the problem is in that area.

Ideas anyone?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Fuse problem - power windows/sunroof/interior lights

I had a broken door latch and was forced to remove that very same fuse because the alarm kept going off. Each time I re inserted the fust I saw a small spark, yet never had an issue. It is important that you have the correct amp fuse installed. Double check that you are reinserting the correct amp fuse and perhaps even do it with the car off. Good luck
Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tks for the tip, will start with handcranking sunroof and check for cut cable. Door panel is next

I've already blown 4 10A fuses with the ignition off so that is outruled. Also disconnected the battery and tried again but no improvement so I'm pretty much out of ideas for a simple solution. Hopefully I find the problem after opening the sunroof.

On the other hand my drivers door handle is a little hard to open and the alarm do go off for no reason at times, so maybe I have a similar problem like yours.