A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Gas is spilling at the filler neck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas is spilling at the filler neck.

I have a 2001 A6 Quattro Avant and when I let the gas filler do an automatic shut off gas spills out and drips down behind the rear wheel. Maybe a cup or so. It is NOT from the overflow tube attached to the rubber flange around the filler neck. I also have a check engine light which codes a 442 I believe. The parts store guy says it indicates a small evap system leak. Is it possible to remove the stuff at the filler neck to see what's leaking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I checked the recall and talked to Audi USA and they said that my car is not covered by the recall concerning the evap system. They said that if I take it to the dealer I can pay for the diagnostic and IF it's the same problem as the recalled vehicles they would cover it. $600 gamble in my estimation. Help!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Is it possible to remove the stuff at the filler neck to see what's leaking?
Of course it is possible. It just depends on whether you can handle the tools and do the repairs yourself.

You didn't mention the mileage on the car. The evap code might be due to evap purge valve OR a leak in the evap system (i.e. hoses, canister etc.). Either way, if you want to spend time and do it yourself, you'd need the VAG-COM OBD tool to interface with car's diagnostic system to see the codes and/or to clear them. Assuming that you don't have any tools, you would also need general mechanic's tool set to be able to open nuts, bolts etc. No easy answer until you take things apart to find where the issue(s) are.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gasoline literally pours out behind the fill tube. Probably not a code. What I need is help in taking apart the tubes and hoses right behind the fill door. Is that possible? Or do I need to drop the tank?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Diagnostic charge is only $130 at my dealer....what's up with yours?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gasoline literally pours out behind the fill tube. Probably not a code. What I need is help in taking apart the tubes and hoses right behind the fill door. Is that possible? Or do I need to drop the tank?
If you have CEL, there is a code stored. You mentioned code 442 and it is usually due to evap related issues . Apart from that, don't have access to the manual right now but, will try to post a diagram that could be of some help - unless someone beats me to it.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Diagnostic charge is only $130 at my dealer....what's up with yours?
That was just a WAG on my part. Worst case is that they have to drop the tank to fix the problem and that can't be cheap. If that is the smoke test I may go for it.

I would still like to know if I can get at the filler neck from inside the vehicle. I can see it from below but have no good access same as from the filler door. I can see all the connections but can't reach them to do any work. I guess that was my question.

There is an acess panel on the right side in the rear interior but there is a big old mess of Bose in there. If I remove that will I be able to get at the filler neck?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
Of course it is possible. It just depends on whether you can handle the tools and do the repairs yourself.

You didn't mention the mileage on the car. The evap code might be due to evap purge valve OR a leak in the evap system (i.e. hoses, canister etc.). Either way, if you want to spend time and do it yourself, you'd need the VAG-COM OBD tool to interface with car's diagnostic system to see the codes and/or to clear them. Assuming that you don't have any tools, you would also need general mechanic's tool set to be able to open nuts, bolts etc. No easy answer until you take things apart to find where the issue(s) are.
104,100 total miles.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Haven't the slightest. I just had my S6 recall done at the dealer....you really need to get it to them and have them diagnose it if not fix it.

Best case is it might even be covered by Audi.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got it solved

I removed the right rear wheel and the fender liner and then all of the gas filler neck and associated hoses and devices are right there. Easy! The problem was a small crack in the lower part of an overflow catch. I got a fiberglass kit from the parts store and that did the trick. On my way to the parts store to get the code cleared and verify that my repair is holding.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got a fiberglass kit from the parts store and that did the trick. On my way to the parts store to get the code cleared and verify that my repair is holding.

The fibeglass repair kit did not hold. In fact it sort of fell off as soon as gas hit that area. I did finally get the leak fixed with a kit from Tech-Bond. Amazing stuff and it is the only thing that I found that will adhere to polyehtelene.

Quick Reply: Gas is spilling at the filler neck.