A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Gauge cluster swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster swap problem

Well i bought a used cluster with working LCD and installation went fine but for some reason my electronic immobilizer turns on with the new cluster.

anyone know of ways around this?
thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

What was wrong with the old cluster? Probably cheaper to have it fixed than to have the dealer reprogram the immobilizer.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the main LCD in the old one is unreadable. the new one i have works perfect, except for the damn immobiliser. is it possible to reprogram the cluster at all?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

generally no. After 2000 they had the immobilizer and it can be very difficult to reprogram. If you can live without the cluster for a couple weeks then you can send it out to get to repaired. I had mine done at module masters in Canada and now it works perfectly. Its even guaranteed for quite some time.

Give your local dealer a call however. There is always a small chance they can help. If it costs over $300 then you might as well fix the original one however.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by frankinstyn
generally no. After 2000 they had the immobilizer and it can be very difficult to reprogram. If you can live without the cluster for a couple weeks then you can send it out to get to repaired. I had mine done at module masters in Canada and now it works perfectly. Its even guaranteed for quite some time.

Give your local dealer a call however. There is always a small chance they can help. If it costs over $300 then you might as well fix the original one however.
If you do not have the immobilizer on your a6, then you will not be able to reprogram it. I have an A6 2.7T and I had the same problem. That is how I know this. My a6 did not come with the immobilizer. If your auto has the immobilizer, Then It can be reprogrammed. I paid $90.00 for my mishap. Here is what you need to do. If and when you check with your audi or vw dealer, take your old cluster with you or put it back in before you go there. That way, they can down load the cluster information to their computer. Then when they put the good one in, they can upload all of your auto's info back into the good cluster. That is all that has to be done. Good luck.

Ron
Old 10-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomoyasu
the main LCD in the old one is unreadable. the new one i have works perfect, except for the damn immobiliser. is it possible to reprogram the cluster at all?
Immobilizer, yes. At the dealer, not cheap.
Odometer, no.

This is a poor idea. Have the other cluster fixed and reinstall it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with 4Driver4. Get yours repaired and sell the other one. some of the repair places come with a very long warrenty.

Ron
Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by watauga2.7T
I agree with 4Driver4. Get yours repaired and sell the other one. some of the repair places come with a very long warrenty.

Ron
I would try to get it repaired but i cant be without the cluster for that long. Ill try to call the dealer and see whats up with getting the info swapped over. thanks guys
Old 11-01-2010, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what is your car year model ? Can you start your car with this new cluster ?
early models up to 2001 don't have immobolizer built in, Immbolizer is tight into key, ecu, and instrument cluster

Do you have your existing cluster, look at the sticker on your top right cluster you should see part# plus immbolizer number below it will start with AUZ.........
if all the dots are zero then your car don't have immobolizer
if all the dots are combination of digits and numbers then you have immbolizer number
now look at the cluster you bought, if you have the flashing car with key on your new cluster , and the top sticker have immbolizer number , and you can't start the car , then you have to program your new cluster into your car, then you need 4 digit SKC code from your orginal car cluster and your new cluster in order to program to your car, in order to get the 4 digit code you need to go to dealer and have them instaall or provide you 4 digit key for a fee, if you don't have access to tools like VAGCOM

if you can turn your car on and drive with this cluster that means that you don't have immbolizer in your car , however the new cluster the only way to stop the flashing of the immobolizer light is to cover it with black eletrcial tape, your can't turn the immobolizer off , it is program to that cluster, and nothing you can't do about it.

As others recommend , best way to avoid any headache is to fix your existing cluster, you don't have to worry about re-programming, your missing mileage and anything that is programmed into cluster will not be lost.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Has there been any recalls/ TSBs for the instrument panel? I have a 1999 A6 2.8L. The intstrument panel is barely readable.

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster swap problem