A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Gauge cluster swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Has there been any recalls/ TSBs for the instrument panel? I have a 1999 A6 2.8L. The intstrument panel is barely readable.
Unfortunately not, there is not recall. You can have it fixed, yourself if you have good skills or you can have company do it for you
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frankinstyn
I had mine done at module masters in Canada and now it works perfectly. Its even guaranteed for quite some time.
Module Masters is actually in the US, PixelFix is in Canada. Module Masters has also suspended their LCD repair service, I expect they can't get the LCD anymore.

OP, your choices are basically to either pay someone else to fix it or source the LCD and do it yourself if you've got good soldering tools.

DYI: https://www.audiworld.com/tech/
US-based repair company: http://www.dnaspeedometers.com/aud.htm
Canada-based repair company: http://www.pixelfix.info/index.php?m...x&cPath=65_142

PixelFix also sells just the LCD they use in their aftermarket repair option to DYI'ers. If you can drive the car with the cluster w/ immobo installed than you can use that one for the week or see it'll take to send your cluster off for repair.

For what it's worth I had mine replaced with an OEM LCD by PixelFix (lifetime warranty) and the service was great. Paul kept me informed of every stage of his progess after he received the cluster and it was back in the mail the morning after he received it. Shipping there and back was the longest part of the process by far (took a little over a week all told due to a stat holiday interrupting mail flow).
Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of the late 2001 models that started getting all the 2002 stuff. Soon as i get some free time ill give a couple audi shops around here a call and see what they can do.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely they won;t be able to do much more than suggest you either buy a brand new cluster and have it coded to the correct mileage ($$$), send it off to one of the company's that does the LCD replacement or just deal with the faded display. You're looking at about $200 - $300 and a week or so of downtime to have the LCD replaced with a working one.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i just saw new lcds by vdo on ebay, they're going about 75 a piece.
I'll be attempting the replacement in the spring. I just need to peek at the FSM to remove the cluster itself.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
i just saw new lcds by vdo on ebay, they're going about 75 a piece.
I'll be attempting the replacement in the spring. I just need to peek at the FSM to remove the cluster itself.

It is not OEM VDO LCD , those are chinese LCD false advertising
Old 05-25-2020, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Dash clocks swap c5 s6 immobiliser issue

Originally Posted by watauga2.7T
If you do not have the immobilizer on your a6, then you will not be able to reprogram it. I have an A6 2.7T and I had the same problem. That is how I know this. My a6 did not come with the immobilizer. If your auto has the immobilizer, Then It can be reprogrammed. I paid $90.00 for my mishap. Here is what you need to do. If and when you check with your audi or vw dealer, take your old cluster with you or put it back in before you go there. That way, they can down load the cluster information to their computer. Then when they put the good one in, they can upload all of your auto's info back into the good cluster. That is all that has to be done. Good luck.

Ron
my s6 2000 c5 avant developed lcd clock issues, sent it off and came back completely broken sent to somebody else and used micro jumpers as the solder joints and board had been damaged now lcd and mileage don’t work at all!

bought new clocks from a s6 and everything works, cloned the data from the old dash and now no lcd and mileage and the car won’t start (immobiliser) car and key symbol flashing

the old dash isn’t repairable
Old 05-25-2020, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Module Masters is your best bet for cluster repair. They are in Moscow, Idaho. Call them first and describe your problem and they will tell you up front what they can do. An LCD center display replacement is around $150. They also do a bench test before returning it to you to detect any other problems. Good to work with and usually speedy service, depending on their workload. The work on many makes and models and service other components as well. Google them to get contact info.