A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

GIAC Tip Chip for '99

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
2nd. There's a reason Audi has a 2.7 turbo engine.

and there's a reason why they have a 4.2 V8. I don't understand your point here? I have a car, I want to make it better. I don't want to sell it and buy another one.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I sold my A4 2.8 (5speed) and got the A6 2.7t..... best move ever.....

the 2.8 will have you dreaming for more..... period!!!

there is nothing really to do to the 2.8... barely any mods out there for it, except for a $5000 SC
(which in my head is way too much$$$).

other than that you can't really make it go faster but you can make it look nicer.... drop, rims, and for a little more performance (or really just a better sound) an exhaust and intake

good luck though
Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by 04/A6/2.7t/S-line
I sold my A4 2.8 (5speed) and got the A6 2.7t..... best move ever.....

the 2.8 will have you dreaming for more..... period!!!

there is nothing really to do to the 2.8... barely any mods out there for it, except for a $5000 SC
(which in my head is way too much$$$).

other than that you can't really make it go faster but you can make it look nicer.... drop, rims, and for a little more performance (or really just a better sound) an exhaust and intake

good luck though
My next Audi will probably be an older S4, but in the meantime I'd like to have some fun with this one. I found some Superchargers costing only 2K-2500 and it jumps this car to 295HP. That's not the point of this thread though. I'm more interested in hearing of anyone that has a '99 2.8Q and if they did any Tip mods.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got mine chipped.... by inmotion (you can find them on ebay) you could send him an message and see if the can make one for your car.... they are alot cheaper than the others out there and they work fine( no problems with mine so far) here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TIPTRONIC-TIP-CHI...3286.m20.l1116
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Got it. I would take the K04'ed car over the supercharged car.

The big difference is compression and engine management. The 2.7 has a lower compression engine and a management system designed to work with forced induction. 2.8 has a higher compression which really should be lowered to use FA, and the fuel system needs larger injectors to deliver adequate fuel for boost, as well as lacking inputs to maximize power and engine protection.

Cost of FA can climb, especially if you want it done correctly and reliably. I learned that after I bought a complete kit for the Miata. The kit was state of the art at the time, but had its weaknesses. It took a lot of additonal work (read: money and time) to get it right.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=04/A6/2.7t/S-line;23768661]I got mine chipped.... by inmotion (you can find them on ebay) you could send him an message and see if the can make one for your car.... they are alot cheaper than the others out there and they work fine( no problems with mine so far) here's the link
QUOTE]

Thank you, I will do more research with the link you provided. Upgrading to a 2.7T is a good idea but since I just bought it, I want to keep it for a bit and save up for something better.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Got it. I would take the K04'ed car over the supercharged car.

The big difference is compression and engine management. The 2.7 has a lower compression engine and a management system designed to work with forced induction. 2.8 has a higher compression which really should be lowered to use FA, and the fuel system needs larger injectors to deliver adequate fuel for boost, as well as lacking inputs to maximize power and engine protection.

Cost of FA can climb, especially if you want it done correctly and reliably. I learned that after I bought a complete kit for the Miata. The kit was state of the art at the time, but had its weaknesses. It took a lot of additonal work (read: money and time) to get it right.
I definitely would too, a lot better options available. Technically, I'd take an S4 over an A6 (let the flaming start haha) but that's not an option for me right now. Still need to fix that CEL EVAP leak I've had forever

And from what I read, the SC maintenance and 'ideal' setup will be a pain in the butt. At this point, I will probably save up that extra 2K and dump it into upgrades for my next vehicle.....
Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Simply put, the 2.8 is the entry level A6. Moving up the line for fun is the 2.7, you can do a lot with it and they offered the manual transmission. It's the sporty one. If you're looking for a luxury cruiser, you've got the 4.2

Try as you may, you're going to sink more money in the 2.8 for little gain if you keep heading down this path. Enjoy the 2.8 for what is is, a solid European sedan. More fun needed? Look for another car...maybe is wasn't such a great deal after all?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Buy what you want to begin with....

Sorry, Mike - this may turn out to be a clear case of buyer's remorse for you. I don't know how much research you did before picking up that 2.8, but even a cursory reveiw of the available engine/drivetrain combinations for the A6 would have revealed what most of the guys have stated already - Audi offered the variety of A6 drivetrains for good reasons. The 2.8 engine is a reliable motor, but it's a relatively small-displacement, normally-aspirated V6, good for economy and comfort, but not at all for the kind of sporty performance you wish from it. GIAC, APR and others offer great software solutions for all of the Audi lines, but the greatest performance gains are going to be seen in the turbocharged cars, as the software changes address not only the transmission coding that you're so interested in, but boost/wastegate, fuel delivery and other settings, as well.

You may have gotten a pretty good deal on your 2.8, but there's a country song that goes like this: "This may not be what you want to hear, but it's what I'm going to say..." - don't try to make this car into something that it isn't. It'll be more fun and less painful to get what you want to begin with and build on that platform.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2002 A6 2.7T TIP with REVO looking to do a GIAC tip chip???

Lets end the discussion on the 2.8L I hate, you hate them, they suck.

On better news... I have an '02 A6 2.7T w/ Tip (code 01032) and it's tuned with REVO Stage 1, custom Tantrumwerks DP w/ high flow cats and vast mufflers, Forged DV's, silicone hoses kit with custom OE fit silicone TBB.

Now I know what your thinking, as long as this idiot doest K04 convert his A6, the tranny should hold out. Well, I can’t stop, I’m addicted and Audi is my drug. Other than telling me to sell it all out and get a manual, I was thinking of installing the GIAC tiptronic software.

Question 1: is the Giac tune something that will aid the A6 in taking the added beating once I go K04?

Question 2: is there anything I can do to additionally strengthen the Tranny OUTSIDE of a manual convert?

Question 3: My TCU is 4B0 927 156 DR and the latest GIAC flash they have for an A6 is 4B0 927 156 DJ... I noticed that they did have an S4 TCU flash for the 8D0 927 156 DR... Do you guys thinking that the S4 flash is exactly the same as the A6 flash due to the revision number being equal DR and DR even though the cassis numbers are off?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thewayofwright
Lets end the discussion on the 2.8L I hate, you hate them, they suck.

On better news... I have an '02 A6 2.7T w/ Tip (code 01032) and it's tuned with REVO Stage 1, custom Tantrumwerks DP w/ high flow cats and vast mufflers, Forged DV's, silicone hoses kit with custom OE fit silicone TBB.

Now I know what your thinking, as long as this idiot doest K04 convert his A6, the tranny should hold out. Well, I can’t stop, I’m addicted and Audi is my drug. Other than telling me to sell it all out and get a manual, I was thinking of installing the GIAC tiptronic software.

Question 1: is the Giac tune something that will aid the A6 in taking the added beating once I go K04?

Question 2: is there anything I can do to additionally strengthen the Tranny OUTSIDE of a manual convert?

Question 3: My TCU is 4B0 927 156 DR and the latest GIAC flash they have for an A6 is 4B0 927 156 DJ... I noticed that they did have an S4 TCU flash for the 8D0 927 156 DR... Do you guys thinking that the S4 flash is exactly the same as the A6 flash due to the revision number being equal DR and DR even though the cassis numbers are off?

software isnt going to fix the weak link in the tranny which is the TC... it just cant take that much Tq. only option is to get a better TC.

Quick Reply: GIAC Tip Chip for '99