A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Glove Box door

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glove Box door

Hi All
I have just bought an 1998 Audi A6 tdi and the lock on the glove compartment is damaged, i cant open it unless i force it. Is there a way i can get the glove box door off to try and fix it, or any other advice would be great.
Many Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same problem. The latch on mine is broke. From the info Ive gathered so far, the only way is to force it open or remove the whole glove box and replace it with another. So far, Ive tried prying it open but I dont want to pry any harder in fear or damaging other things.

There are a few bolts underneath the top lip of the glove box and a couple under the dash that holds the glove box in. Im working on getting them all out without being able to get the door open. good luck, let me know if your able to force it open without extra damage
Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default glove box door hijinks

I have the same problem. The latch on mine is broke. From the info Ive gathered so far, the only way is to force it open or remove the whole glove box and replace it with another. So far, Ive tried prying it open but I dont want to pry any harder in fear or damaging other things.

There are a few bolts underneath the top lip of the glove box and a couple under the dash that holds the glove box in. Im working on getting them all out without being able to get the door open. good luck, let me know if your able to force it open without extra damage
Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

The center of the latch is 10" from the left of the glovebox door and it releases to the rear.

So try a slim jim type of door opener and position the center of the device about ten inches to the right of the left hand side of the glovebox door. Slide the slim jim between the glove box door and the top opening øƒ the glove box and if you're lucky/work at it you should be able to catch the top of the glove box latch and push it back enough to release.

This link shows the open glovebox and you can see the U-shaped catch the latch latches onto. Your slim jim has to fit inside the U....the U is 1/2" inside.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec132.shtml

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 10-21-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add link
Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
The center of the latch is 10" from the left of the glovebox door and it releases to the rear.

So try a slim jim type of door opener and position the center of the device about ten inches to the right of the left hand side of the glovebox door. Slide the slim jim between the glove box door and the top opening øƒ the glove box and if you're lucky/work at it you should be able to catch the top of the glove box latch and push it back enough to release.

This link shows the open glovebox and you can see the U-shaped catch the latch latches onto. Your slim jim has to fit inside the U....the U is 1/2" inside.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec132.shtml
Thank you much for the info. gold nugget post right there
Old 01-19-2020, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Glove box handle broke

Good day,
I just bought a 2002 tt roadster and the handle to open the glove box is broke. I am able to open it anyway but I am looking for a new handle. Do you think I can find one somewhere? Does someone as contact?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Give Ebay a try. I would bet there are complete doors w/ latch assembly available for reasonable cost.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryski
Hi All
I have just bought an 1998 Audi A6 tdi and the lock on the glove compartment is damaged, i cant open it unless i force it. Is there a way i can get the glove box door off to try and fix it, or any other advice would be great.
Many Thanks
I just took a look at my 2001 and it looks like the door hinges are attached with one screw on each side and are accessed from the firewall side. I think you can remove the cover below the glove box to get to the screws.

Last edited by meternerd; 01-20-2020 at 01:44 PM.