A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Going on my 4th Alternator...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going on my 4th Alternator...PLEASE HELP

Let me preface this with the fact that I am not auto-literate...

So about a year ago my alternator went out on my 2001 Audi A6 2.8. I got the alternator replaced and thought the problem was fixed. Eventually the information screen on the dash has several lines through it (as if it is not getting enough power). The Bose speaker system also begins to sound un-amplified over time. Eventually the whole car's systema go out, power steering and everything. If I jump the car the screen returns to mint condition and the speakers sound perfect for a couple drives.

This same scenario keeps happening to me; a total of four times. Every time this happens, the garage I take it to replaces the alternator as it is still under warranty, they cannot seem to locate the problem.

So as the problem is happening again for the fourth time I need an Audi experts help. Could it be a bad alternator brand? Could it be another problem?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like alternators are not your problem. That shop sounds like they might be diagnosis-challenged. Did they pull codes form your ecus?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has one of the 3-4 alternator removed from your car tested outside the car?? If it works outside your car then... we need to see what the problem is.. Looks like some kind of Grounding issue on the Car... Not sure on this car but some cars have grounding built into the body of the alternator.. maybe there is some issue on the mounting brackets and you should run a separate grounding wire from the alternator to the body of the car or check for continuity between the alternator and the battery -ve terminal.. Just my 2c from my EEE knowledge.. Also read codes to find what issues are shown..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the voltage at the battery while the alternator is running. Sounds like an issue with the wiring between the alternator and the battery. Audi used to have a "weld" in the passenger compartment of sedans with the batteries in the back that would corrode and cause voltage at the battery to be inadequate to keep the battery charged.

You also might want to charge the battery fully (and clean the terminals) and let it sit a few days to see if the battery can hold a charge.