A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Going to rebuild my own tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sounds like a worthy game plan, in a way

Originally Posted by slowguy
Don't know. Found a low mileage tranny at a decent price. The $800 price tag isn't a deal breaker - seems pretty cheap for these trannys. The beefed rebuild kit is over 1000. So...yes, I would be pretty mad at myself for flushing about 2k down the drain and what would probably amount to a few months of weekends.

Not attempted the valve body won't be a problem. I'll just order that rebuilt with the upgraded torque converter. That will set me back another 1K. I will still be left, however, with my current tranny, valve body, and torque converter which are all in good operating condition and currently only at 70k miles. I think that the TC and the VB will probably have a core deposit on them so I would only be left with the tranny which should fetch, hopefully, what I paid for the one I a plan to rebuild.

SOunds like good summer fun. If I get to complete this project I will have PLENTY of pics because that's how I usually get stuff back together.
How many added "engine" ponies are you throwing at your trans?

Seems like a few opted for the mt-6 conversions for durability and performance vs an auto trans
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcman
How many added "engine" ponies are you throwing at your trans?

Seems like a few opted for the mt-6 conversions for durability and performance vs an auto trans
I was considering going with frankenturbos. Guessing I'd put out about 350-400 at the crank. The tip vs. manual discussion goes back and forth - read many heated debates. I know, hands down, the manual is the only way to handle high hp but I want to keep my tip. This car is a daily driver for my wife that I drive occasionally. It really won't see the higher HP available from the upgraded turbos too often. I want to be able to hold my drink and not have it spill in my lap as I try to shift gears. We frequently drive in Chicago and the constant up and down shift is enough to drive you crazy after a while.

I like this car and plan to keep it for a while. I don't mind spending money on worthwhile upgrades and I like to be prepared. It's easier to spend money in intervals rather than waiting for the tranny to crap out and have no choice but to take it to a shop and spend 3-5k for the same stock transmission. I want to be prepared. If I have a beefed up tranny done, then I'll pop it in....at my own pace. If I end up not needing it, I can always sell.

All in all I will have about 15-17k (edit - to clarify $15-17,000) into this car. It has 70k on the clock. Essentially it will have new turbos, a new tranny, new torque converter, updated valve body, all wheel drive, average 24-25 on the highway (I know some have questioned this but at least that's what the computer is telling me), pushing 400hp, full front end steering done, full maintenance complete. I should be able to easily put another 100k on this car (which for us is about 6 years or more). Where else can you find all that in an Audi package for that price?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Given all said

Originally Posted by slowguy
Where else can you find all that in an Audi package for that price?
and this^^^^^. I see what you mean, have fun and good luck!