A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Good source for LED's for CC mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good source for LED's for CC mod?

Approaching 120,000 miles and will be doing timing belt/water pump/thermostat/snub mount/whatever else needs to be replaced on the front of the engine job this weekend. I just saw the discussion about CC mod below and am adding that to the list. I will be using the oven method. My friends are going fishing in wisconsin over the weekend, and I am going to stay home, change my timing belt and mod my headlights. I love this forum. Now for the question:

I really like the look of LED's, but have read that because of lower resistance the flasher does not operate properly, and that the brightness diminishes greatly/can only be seen from directly ahead. Can someone recommend a setup (led bulb/in-line resistor if necessary) and website where I can purchase the best LED's for this mod? In otherwords, a tested setup that works properly and complements the cc mod well.
TIA, Tom.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

myroadster.net had a good kit
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done and undone!

<a href="http://forums.bostonaudi.org/viewtopic.php?t=3804&highlight=led">Encounter of the LED kind</a>

The LED output is not that high, and on a sunny day you can barely see them (front or rear). I was worried that someone would just clip me if they can't see me signaling. Removed the whole setup.

<a href="http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6470">My current setup instead</a>.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looks vs. safety, or comprimised safety, tough choice

I really like the look of LED's but after reading your write-up I'm swayed toward sticking with incandescent bulbs. I only wanted to replace the front turn signals to achieve the look nemesisa6 has in his sig.

My concern is when overtaking on the highway, will the car ahead of me in my lane see my turn signal clearly or will the intensity of my headlight overshadow the intensity of the LED?

Whether or not the driver is paying attention to traffic from the rear while talking on their cell phone is another story.