A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Got Slotted centric Rotors BUT the hub isnt painted..Any way to paint them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got Slotted centric Rotors BUT the hub isnt painted..Any way to paint them?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
GPZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sure...

... First thing is to clean them really well. The rotors will have some oil residue left on them from the manufacturing process... Spray down well with brake cleaner and wipe well, maybe some paint thinner too.

After completely dry then you need to mask off the part of the rotors you absolutely can't get paint on. You could use the boxes that the rotors cam in and cut a hole in the middle for the hub to stick out of, but I'd use a bit of masking tape also.

Whatever color you decide, make sure it is a high temperature paint. My personal favorite: Black BarBQ paint of course! Good high temp paint with some corrosion inhibitors in it.

Paint in really (really!) thin coats with adequate drying in between. (Follow the directions on the can). Make sure you allow a final drying / curing time of at least a full day, more if you can. If you want to help it cure, and if your spouse has a good sense of humor, you could use your oven to assist the curing time. However, this will cause some fumes in your house and is not strictly necessary. It will heat up and cure more with use of the brakes on the car.

Be aware that the paint could lift off the next time you remove your wheels where the wheel is clamped up against the hub. No big deal really, not visible when the wheel is put back on, but of course you could always re-touch the paint up if that happens. Black BarBQ paint is readily available, and actually I doubt you'll even use 1/4 of the can to begin with. Turn the can upside down and spray to clear the nozzle before you put it away and that rattlecan should work fine when you need it again.

If the rotors were slotted, are you sure they aren't cadnium or zinc plated? If so, then I wouldn't bother painting them, however it wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you, as always great direction even a monkey can follow..I will call and check if the rotors a

Plated..I dont want them painted for look, but JUST so they don't rust..