A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

as Grapeking has so kindly brought to my attention, i need some help in the suspension dept

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default as Grapeking has so kindly brought to my attention, i need some help in the suspension dept

a couple questions for anyone who can help...
im decidind between H-sports and a good shock/spring set-up... C/O's are out of the budget and im not looking for max performance anyway

1. will H-sports help with the "floating" feeling that is so commonly associated with 100,XXX mile suspension? IMO, i not only find this uncomfortable, but in some situations very scary

2. how do shocks/springs and H-sports compare as far as body-roll?

3. since im on a budget, and have access to a full shop with a lift, any tools i need, and i like to think of myself as somewhat mechanically inclined... i will be doing the installation of whichever i choose myself. how much of a PITA is installation for the shocks and springs? i know the H-sports are pretty simple.

thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some thoughts

H-sports specifically address body roll -- that's it. They make the suspension marginally stiffer, but will not reduce float. That's where new shocks come in.

New springs to lower you, and new shocks to match will take care of float through increased damping. Stiffer springs w/increased damping on the shocks will also have the effect of reducing body roll, but not as much as sway bars specifically designed for the purpose. If budget is tight, I've got a rear PSK bar (OEM sport) I would sell you.

If you've got an old suspension and want to lower/get rid of float, go with new springs/shocks. If you cannot afford to do that and the H-sports, the latter can wait.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good response, You've laid it out nicely. One other factor to consider: shocks/springs come

into play every time you brake, or accelerate, or change lanes, or take a corner, etc, etc. They're always being used. At 100K miles there is no doubt the shocks are toast and need replacing, whereas the sway bar is still serviceable (but not ideal). I'd vote shocks/spring first, and the H-Sports sometime in the future if the jobs must be done at different times.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Consider the Eibach Pro-System....matched shocks and springs...

I've had this set up for 18 months and I'm extremely happy with them. Added the H-Sports over the summer...very happy with those also, but the Eibach was a much more significant improvement.

Paid to have the Eibach system installed, did the H-Sports myself...<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/498643.phtml">Eibach Installation post...</a></li></ul>
Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 PM

Default In fact I found the combination of worn shocks and H-sports quite nauseating - in a word, bouncy!

I'd suggest budgeting for new shocks and h-sports, or the Eibach pro-system and H-sports.

Reckon on either changing shocks soon after the H-sports are fitted, or even better sort the shocks first!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kris did a recent DIY article on a suspension updgrade...

Here's the link...<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel49.shtml">click</a></li></ul>
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I had similiar needs with my '04 non-sport 4.2....

It only has 28k on it. I wanted to upgrade the suspension but did not want to go C/O's or shock/spring combo. Wasn't sure if it would pass the wife-o-meter. I was looking for less body roll in corners, less dive/squat, slight lowering, more precise steering, and less bounce.

Boston Driver and Robert Gedeon gave me some great advice and I ended up purchasing the Sport Suspension off a wrecked '03 w/15k on them. I had them and the H-Sports installed at a local shop (definately paid too much, but I'm no grease monkey).

I am extremely happy with my decision! All my goals were accomplished and I haven't even upgraded to the 18" RS6 reps with Goodyear F1 GSD3's or Toyo T1R's that I want- can't imagine what it will do then!

Base your decision on how/who will drive the car, budget, needs/wants, and you'll make a good decision.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thats awesome! if you read this, thank you kris!!

that looks like about what i expected so ill definitly be doing it myself... thanks
Old 09-29-2006, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Have you taken any pics of your car with the sport suspension???

I tlooks like the ones in your picture poster are non-sport height.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default WOW! He makes it look so easy! And...

I did not see the need for the BFH in that project!!!

Quick Reply: as Grapeking has so kindly brought to my attention, i need some help in the suspension dept