A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Had to manually close my sunroof yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to manually close my sunroof yesterday

Afternoon commute. I left my sunroof in the vent position all day yesterday. I approach my car and lower all 4 windows with my remote. Hop in the car and begin the commute home.

As I'm driving, I reach up and spin the sunroof control to full open. Nothing happens.

I look up and figure, ok, I'll just try to close it. Spin the control to full close. Nothing happens.

Tap down on the control to close the sunroof. Nothing happens. Tap up on the sunroof control. Nothing happens.

Spin the control to a partial opening and the sunroof closes then moves to a very small opening. Cool! Spin the control to full open. Nothing happens!

While experimenting with the sunroof control, I find that making a one notch adjustment causes the sunroof to open a bit more. Back and forth goes the sunroof adjustment until the sunroof is full open.

Now, spin the control to full open, the sunroof clicks. Spin the control to full close, the sunroof clicks. SOMEHOW, the sunroof doesn't know if it's open or closed!

Shut off the engine, take out a flat blade screwdriver and have at the light fixture behind the sunroof control. Once that's opened (no small feat), open the fuse panel and remove the sunroof handle. Crank that bad boy closed. Start up the car and then fiddle with the positioning until the sunroof regains it's position.

Everything works perfectly today. Straaaaange.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default :) Similar story...

Turn the car off with radio working fine, turn it on -radio dead. Pull HU out, reset with fuse on the back-HU works again...for about two weeks...then the cycle closes...straaaange(i feel this "strange" will cost me $200)
posted few times-no one has an idea what is going on..
just venting...
Old 08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

That happened to me when I first got my car. It was if the sunroof forgot it's 'zero' point...
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 PM

Default had similar deal a few weeks back and forgot to post

had roof in vent position and would not go back down. Would only try to go up and not down. Of course there was no roof tool so I grabbed my allen keys and got it back down. Key back in, tried again, and not a problem and nothing since. Needless to say the allen key has taken up residence in my center console storage area.