A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hands free cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hands free cell phone

I see in my arm rest, what appears to be a phone jack, and on the driver side pillar what appears to be a microphone for a prewired handsfree system. I suspect it works with the radio system and speakers. (or I could be totally full of crap and not know what I am seeing) Let's presume for the moment that Is waht I'm looking at, so now how do I find an adapter to patch my phone in? Or don't I? Is this a feature that requires I buy a phone fron Audi? I tried the search but mostly got results for powering the phone.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome to the club. The speaker in the B pillar is for the nav.

The mic is suppose to be up by the mirror/light housing.

Some people have hacked a solution to get it to work. Having wished for a hands/wire free solution I waited until AoA came out with their phone.

The late 2002 and new 2003 are suppose to be prewired for OnStar/Telematics and for the low price of $699 you can pick up the Motorola v60 with Audi specific hardware/software that makes it work.

My solution on my MY Jan 2000-
-bought the Sony Ericsson T68i w/bluetooth.
-bought a bluetooth wireless headset for $100
-and now I have voice activation, no wires, handsfree, and completely mobile (i.e. outside of the car) for $250.

And the darn thing works.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the speaker for the nav is the small one in the door.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Nav speaker is indeed in the B-pillar. I have the Telematics...

It is "prewired" to the point of having the cradle in the armrest - taking up valuable trinket space. I suppose that I should order the dang thing...though they're trying to tell me that I need both the phone and an installation kit. So it'll end up closer to $800+! (!) Perhaps I'll purchase some VAG stock before "investing" in the phone. I don't think I need the kit, as the cradle sure looks ready to go to me, but as the dealers are never wrong...I'll probably have to order both, and make them take the kit back when they find out that an AudiWorlder was smarter than them. Imagine!

I briefly fiddled around with the Telematics, but am not interested in their services; I'd just like the phone. The voice recognition actually worked quite well.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just tried to buy the phone...would you like AT&T, Verizon, or Cingular? Doh! No Sprint. Crap!
Old 11-15-2002, 01:24 PM

Default I have the full monty set up. The installation kit......

includes the wiring harness from the cradle to the jack situated just behing the handbrake. If you have the cradle already but not the harness that could be a problem, do they sell the harness on its own? The hands free system is very good but my 2003 2.7 came with a 3 spoke steering wheel (no buttons) So once you have filled the 20 voice commands that work through the telematics system you have to fiddle with your phone, which is meant to remain closed in it's cradle. I do not call that many people from my car so I do not see it being a problem for me, however for the investment I would have liked to access all my phones numbers through the cars systems.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default this is what i did...

of course this is on the A4, but i think it's pretty similar for the A6 - but don't quote me on that. if you see a DB25 cable in the truck (by the toolbox/CDC) then you can do this.

[fyi: i actually need to update that article. i have since mounted the phone on a bracket &amp; installed a glass-mount anteanna for the phone to boost reception]<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec66.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec66.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-15-2002, 06:53 PM

Default Re: I have the full monty set up. The installation kit......

Taking delivery on Mon. They got me for for the V60 installed for $1200! I got to "visit her" tonight mainly to inspect this overwhelmingly expensive phone setup to find the console lid doesn't even close with the phone out. Am I missing something?

Is the phone supposed to stay in it's cradle during normal use using handsfree operation?

Would ask dealer, but everyone was gone for the night and I think I might lose some sleep over this!
Old 11-15-2002, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Hands free cell phone

In my 2000 A6 4.2 the arm rest had a phone cradle and a mic near left pillor. Audi stated they no longer made a phone for this car as all are now digital. Up grade the system $900 plus. Research indicated a motorola starTAC modle ST7890/ST7897 no longer made by motorola. However lots on Ebay and picked one up for $86 and it works fine.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:21 AM

Default Yes the phone stays closed in the cradle......

you do not need to touch your phone to make calls. You can pre-program 20 numbers through the telematics system to call by "name" (i.e. you say "call Joe") and you can dial any number by voice activation. Calling a number is a bit time consuming as you have to call it out one number at a time and the system repeats it back to you. The good thing is you press the "on star" white dot button once to start the call and once to end it, in between is voice activation, with both hands on the steering wheel. Definately the safest way to go.