A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Has anyone ever had a "Audi Assured" get bought back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BZZZZ. Wrong answer :-) (depending on your state laws) BTDT in CA.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:29 AM

thumbody's a widdle sensative aww of a thudden... :-)
Old 12-15-2003, 09:29 AM

See also: FRAUD and associated consumer fraud protection acts.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree. I've lurked for some time and have only started posting recently...

but I have found the large majority of Audi enthusiasts (dare I say obsessives!) who are regulars on this board go out of their way to be helpful. Keep in mind that the only way a forum works is when there is a balance of "give and take" and not "take, take, take." Okay, time for me to slowly ease myself off of the soapbox
Old 12-15-2003, 09:36 AM

Default You cannot overdocument all of this. Documents are your friend. Locate the previous owner and learn

the circumstances of the buyback. You can get this info, and then, once you get the story (in writing), you will have some success.

Until you show you can prove you were defrauded, unless somebody steps in and does the 'right' thing (doubt it), you will be 'without paddle' in the middle of the perverbial sulfurous-smelling creek.

Good luck with it. Hate to see things like this happen.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On used cars, my experience is that Audi pretty much forces the owner to go to court

and go the whole lemon law route - if applicable. Long and painful.

You could certainly argue the fraud angle IF the car was really a good will buy back and not disclosed to the new owner.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: You cannot overdocument all of this. Documents are your friend. Locate the previous owner and le

Out of curiosity, how can one find the previous owner, I haven't had any luck doing so and I've been trying. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well said April. you should copy that and just x-post to it as necessary.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Well,

Do you know where the car was previously serviced?

You stated you had old records of the car - is the owner's name or corp. name nowhere to be found?

Beyond that, the carfax etc. will at least tell you where it was bought and sold. From there start tracking down the dealer.

With my car, I knew it was from Utah, so I called each of the dealers looking for the info. They will not give you the previous owner's name, however if you ask the questions the right way they may inadvertently give the name to you.

First, call the sales dept and ask for the names of the service manager and service writers. Good to call people by name, then they think you know them.

You might then call the service dept and ask "Hi is Ron Smith there? - oh, is this John? Ohh DAVID, sorry, didn't recognize your voice. I'm the owner of an Audi A6 that was previously serviced at your dealership and I was hoping you could look up the records via the VIN, I moved recently and can't find any of them, and we're trying to troubleshoot something and just looking to see what's been replaced."

David then says "what's the VIN?".

Then david either says it wasn't serviced here, or he finds the records and you ask him to have Kathy the receptionist fax them over to you at such and such number.

Now you've probably inadvertently gained access to the previous owner's name. With the name, you can then track the owner down and get the full story. If it was a lemon, or even just a lot of trouble, you will probably find the scorned, soured individual more than happy to at least TALK with you on the phone. Take copious notes.

Write up a history of the proceedings in the form of a chronological statement of facts (not opinions) and ask to have the previous owner sign to the veracity of that statement in so far as he knows it.

Then, with a big ****-eating grin on your face, feed that letter into your fax machine and off to either or both AoA and the dealer where you purchased the car. Words like 'defrauded' 'unacceptable' and 'criminal act' will perk up their attention if you find seemingly deaf ears. If no luck, have an attorney submit a letter on his letterhead.

In some states, you may not only be eligible for a buyback, you may be eligible for treble damages (3x the value of the car), etc. Awards and laws all vary, so it is a good thing to see a lawyer.

Just try to resolve to yourself that you will not give up, and decide to really cook their goose and have fun with it, provided you find that you really do have a cause of action, of course.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:06 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be careful how you go about doing this. If you commit fraud in the course of trying to track down..

this info, you'll be handing AoA the ammunition to defeat you.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever had a "Audi Assured" get bought back?