A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Has anyone tried to install the swaybars by just jacking up the car and removing the wheels? More..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried to install the swaybars by just jacking up the car and removing the wheels? More..

The other day when I was installing my summer set-up I noticed I had a very clear and unobstructed view of the bolts that hold the rear swaybar. I am guessing though that the weight of the suspension as the car is jacked up (not on ramps) will load the swaybar and make it difficult to refit. Any thoughts that don't include bashing me would be appreciated. Oh yes I have the H-sport set that I need to install. Hope everyone is enjoying the nice (in New England) weather. 8-)
Old 04-10-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Sure. The fronts are easier on ramps. The rears are easier on jack stands w/ the wheels off..

Tighten everything in the rear when car is on the ground or jack up the suspension to approximate its position when on the ground and then tighten.

e-mail me if you more info

Mike
Old 04-10-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have not tried that, but everyone says that it is...

...easier to install under load. If any doubt, call Hotchkis themselves (on Monday AM, CA time), they might be able to give you some additional guidance.

Sure, it might be "easier" to get at the bolts, but I think the stress of the car's weight on the suspension makes it easier to install.

Best of luck!
Old 04-10-2005, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not that it's easier to install the rears on ramps...

...it's just that you are REQUIRED to load the suspension when installing the bars.

If you don't load the rear suspension, then the only way to attach the bars to the links is on the wrong side. When you preload the suspension the bars attach to the links from the correct side.

When done wrong, as my PSK bar was when first installed, the sway bar and rear suspension is VERY tight. Eventually, you break the links and have to do the whole thing over again.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Correction: Its not required to install the bar under load...

Its required that you tighten the sway bar links under load.

As I stated in my earlier post:
1. install the bar with the wheels off and the car on jack stands - it is much easier this way
2. put the wheels on and lower the car onto ramps or the ground and tighten the sway bar link bolts OR with the car on jack stands and the wheels off, one side at a time jack the suspension up to its approximate position when under load and tighten the sway bar link bolt. Personally, I think this is the easiest way because everything is easily accessable.

There are multiple correct ways to do this. Choose the method that works best for you.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 AM

Default I have talked to hotchkis about this

very subject.They said no load.Ever seen a car built on a assembly line?Guess what, no suspension load.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thx everyone for the feedback. Mike I may send you an email in a week or two. Thx
Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have done the rear both ways and it seemed to be the same level of difficulty each way, but . . .

I always feel MUCH better under the car when it is on ramps. I know that jackstands are safe if used properly, but. . . .

At any rate like it was said, make sure to tighten the links with the car under load.