A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

heating system

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2000, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heating system

I've got a problem on my nearly new 2000 2.7T that I've not seen discussed before. Periodically, the heating system, when set to "auto," will give out with a blast of cold air--almost as if the air conditioner were on, but the heater was not. Of course, this condition cures itself instantly when the vehicle is in sight of the local Audi repair shop. Has anyone else experienced this, and, if so, can they post what the cure was? The dealer is baffled.
Old 03-27-2000, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: heating system

I picked up my 2.7T last week and have the same problem. Very annoying, although I have not contacted my dealer yet. Let me know what you find out. Thanks
Old 03-27-2000, 09:28 AM
peterl

The heating system makes a lot of decisions for you to reach the target temperature - you may have a problem or you may just have a smart climate control system.

My old Camry had a slider that ran from cold to hot, an AC button and a fan setting button plus direction control - if you wanted it cold you pressed AC and slid the fan to max. Very simple.

My A6 is "smart" - if you get in and its cold and you set the temperature request to something warmer, the car waits until the engine has heated a little to crank the fan up. I think the fan speed is a function of how far the car thinks it needs to shift the temperature and its ability to do so.

I don't know why it is sending cold air at you - mine sometime seems to do this on sunny days when I first get in the car - it thinks it just wants to cool down.

I'm waiting for hot weather to see how things cool down - ie what do I have to press to get the car to cool the interior the fastest way possible?

In general, it seems to work very well.

Peter
Old 03-27-2000, 03:56 PM

On my '97 A4, which was black, the best way to cool the interior during the summer was to roll all the windows down with the key when first getting in and then just let the climate control system do its thing. After starting up and driving 100' or so, I'd roll the windows back up.

In the meantime, the CC system would turn itself to "full cold" mode for a while until the interior cooled off and then it would throttle back automatically. It was an extremely smart system--I never once set it to manual in the 3 years I owned it.

So far, the system in my new A6 has operated identically. I haven't experienced croatoan's random cold air problem. It sounds like a problem to me, rather than normal operation.
Old 03-29-2000, 03:10 PM

there is also a sun sensor on the dash that controls the air conditioning system.
Old 03-29-2000, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I didn't realize this about the sun sensor--thanks. I wonder if that device had something to do with the cold air blast. Evidently it has happened to one other car at my local dealership. Happened once, dealer was unable to duplicate, and hasn't happened again. Maybe I'm just the lucky one . . .