A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help! ABS AND BRAKE SIGNAL ON DASHBOARD

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't change mine personally, but I understand it's connected right under/behind the brake pedal. Apparently you can't miss it. Another symptom I recall hearing is that the rear brake lights on the car will stay on. I imagine you should be able to look under the brake pedal to see if an switch is stuck in one position or broken, etc.
Of course, you could always have your codes scanned to see what it says. Even an Autozone should be able to do it if you don't have access to a Vag-com.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I tried Autozone, they only scan engine codes. I asked about the ABS/Brake lights and they couldn't help me.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Take a look under the pedal for that switch! I might be wrong, but it's an easy check-up anyway. It might be the items that others mentioned, but eliminate that possibility anyway!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I will, I appreciate your help. This isn't the easiest position to reach the switch....ouuuccchhhh
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default We have no idea who you are responding to...?

Originally Posted by CGboy
Yeah I will, I appreciate your help. This isn't the easiest position to reach the switch....ouuuccchhhh
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23788331
Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

4Driver4, I just saw the title of your post after I posted my response. For those users viewing in Linear View, it would've been apparent that CGBoy and myself had been posting back and forth about checking his brake light switch. In Threaded View, the exchange and subsequent posts might not've made as much sense. Sorry for the mix up.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Guru

Did you know that you can click on "quote and reply" to reply to a post? This let's you use linear view but also preserve the structure for threaded users. I'm not saying that everyone needs to use threaded view, only that we need to be considerate of each other and learn to communicate well.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by jaymac
For those users viewing in Linear View, it would've been apparent that CGBoy and myself had been posting back and forth about checking his brake light switch.
Funny thing is that I use linear view on the Miata forum and others. For here, threaded view just seems to work the best for me. I think it's because AW has always allowed threaded to wander a bit. In threaded view, you and I can have this discussion without impeding the flow of the thread.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Uh Oh.

Originally Posted by CGboy
I need the experts wisdom on this! I have the ABS and Brake light pop up lately on the dashboard, and can't figure out a starting point! Any ideas?
happened to my 1998 2.8Q
my abs module had crapped out. Cost me 2 grand to get it replaced, and that was after i looked around for a long time for a cheaper alternative....
Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Did you know that you can click on "quote and reply" to reply to a post? This let's you use linear view but also preserve the structure for threaded users. I'm not saying that everyone needs to use threaded view, only that we need to be considerate of each other and learn to communicate well.
True; point taken! That's how I replied to your original post, so it's good to know that each user can view as they prefer and that the "quote and reply" button will keep the threaded view intact!
Thanks for the clarification!

Quick Reply: Help! ABS AND BRAKE SIGNAL ON DASHBOARD